Jump to content

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Glyphs said:

Is it possible to set the Top Align, Center Vertically, Bottom Align and Justify Vertically options in a Text Style?

Those are properties which can be set for Text Frames and they can not be set for paragraphs in a Paragraph Style.


MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012) Mac OS 10.12.6 || Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 10.14.5

Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.7.3 | Affinity Designer Beta 1.7.x.x | Affinity Photo Beta 1.7.x.x | Affinity Publisher Beta 1.8.0.499

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Glyphs said:

Is it possible to set the Top Align, Center Vertically, Bottom Align and Justify Vertically options in a Text Style?

Hopefully, one day we will have Object Styles as per inDesign. That would take care of that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Seneca said:

Hopefully, one day we will have Object Styles as per inDesign. That would take care of that.

I don't know what InDesign has, but Publisher already supports Styles for Text Frames.

Set up the Text Frame the way you want (font, font size, alignment, any other Text Frame properties you want). Make sure it's selected in the Layers panel. In the Styles panel create a new style based on the selection.

Rename it to something appropriate, and later you can drag that Style onto any other Text Frame to give it those same characteristics.


-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1903 (18362.356), 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz, GeForce GTX 970
Affinity Photo 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.486 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.486 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.499 Beta

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

I don't know what InDesign has, but Publisher already supports Styles for Text Frames.

Set up the Text Frame the way you want (font, font size, alignment, any other Text Frame properties you want). Make sure it's selected in the Layers panel. In the Styles panel create a new style based on the selection.

Rename it to something appropriate, and later you can drag that Style onto any other Text Frame to give it those same characteristics.

I have been trying this with the newest version of Publisher, and managed to select a frame, and create a Text style. It looks like the new Text style is a copy of this frame's Text style. I am trying to grab it and put it onto another frame, but nothing happens.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Publisher already supports Styles for Text Frames.

You are absolutely right that @walt.farrell. What @Glyphs requested in his post can be accomplished now. We already have Object Styles in Publisher and my post was misleading to say the least.

I mentioned inDesign Object Styles because they are much more comprehensive. I'm hoping that as Publisher evolves we get more Object Styles options too.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Publisher already supports Styles for Text Frames

The main disadvantage of Object Styles in Publisher  is that you cannot modify them (unless I'm wrong again).

The main point of Styles be it Paragraph Styles or Object Styles is that you can modify a style and all object based on that style are updated accordingly. That's not how object styles work in Publisher. You could try to employ symbols but that won't work either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Object styles at the moment are a half-way house. They can be applied but not edited and updated. So if you have 100 objects with a certain style you can't easily change these objects. Hopefully this will be improved in some update.


Windows 7 Pro, I5 3.3G PC 16G RAM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Glyphs said:

I have been trying this with the newest version of Publisher, and managed to select a frame, and create a Text style. It looks like the new Text style is a copy of this frame's Text style. I am trying to grab it and put it onto another frame, but nothing happens.

Text Styles and Styles are different things.

[Edit: Text Styles describe/affect text (e.g., what's in the text frame). Styles describe/affect objects (e.g., the text frame itself.]

So, expanding a bit on what I said earlier: Make sure the text frame is selected in the Layers panel. In the Styles panel [not Text Styles panel] create a new style based on the selection.


-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1903 (18362.356), 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz, GeForce GTX 970
Affinity Photo 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.486 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.486 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.499 Beta

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Text Styles and Styles are different things.

That’s a very strange thing to say. Both are styles. At the moment object styles can only be applied but not edited. @MicRos captured it well in his post. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Seneca said:

That’s a very strange thing to say. Both are styles.

But they are different. Otherwise one wouldn't be managed by the Text Styles panel and the other by the Styles panel.

Text can have a Text Style. Possibly it can also have a Style; I'm not sure.

Text Frames can have a Style, but (as far as I know) they don't have a Text Style, though some of their settings can also be set by a Text Style.

Additional settings for a Text Frame come from the Text Frame panel.

All of these things are in some ways similar, and in some ways different, but as they are managed/applied differently they are different things.


-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1903 (18362.356), 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz, GeForce GTX 970
Affinity Photo 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.486 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.486 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.499 Beta

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

But they are different.

Hi @walt.farrell. I hope I didn't irked you earlier.

Imagine you could create Paragraph styles and apply them to text but were unable to modify them. Say, your Main Body Para Style is 12pt and you need to change it to 10pts.

Would you be surprised if you had to reapply this manually because you couldn't t update the text style you created earlier. I'm sure you would.

The same with Object Styles. At the moment you can create them but you can't modify them.

Let's say you have a text frame with 3 columns and you applied this style to 30 frames in your project.

If later, somebody turns around and says we actually only need 2 columns you need to change that manually.

My point is. Styles, be it Text Styles or Object Styles should behave similarly. We should be able to create them and modify them.

At the moment Object Styles are dumb (half baked). You can create them but you cannot update them.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Seneca said:

At the moment Object Styles are dumb (half baked). You can create them but you cannot update them.

True. You have to modify an object with that style set, then create a new style, delete the old one, and renumber the new one. 

Should be less cumbersome.

(And no, not irked :) )


-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1903 (18362.356), 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz, GeForce GTX 970
Affinity Photo 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.486 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.486 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.499 Beta

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am trying to sort the styles I created, group my own styles, and separate them from the default ones, but I don't seem to understand the logic behind it. Is there a way to create a Styles folder and put styles into this folder in the Styles tab, for example?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Glyphs said:

I am trying to sort the styles I created, group my own styles, and separate them from the default ones, but I don't seem to understand the logic behind it. Is there a way to create a Styles folder and put styles into this folder in the Styles tab, for example?

Hi @Glyphs,

look at the top right side of the Styles tab. There is a little menu (three horizontal lines with a small triangle pointing downward). This is where you manage Styles Catogories. Those are the equivalent to groups.

Cheers,
d.


Affinity Designer 1.7.3.481 (beta 1.8.0.486)   |   Affinity Photo 1.7.3.481 (beta 1.8.0.486)   |   Affinity Publisher 1.7.3.481 (beta 1.8.0.502)
Affinity Designer for iPad 1.7.0.7   |   Affinity Photo for iPad 1.6.8.77

Windows 10 (1809) 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, dominik said:

Hi @Glyphs,

look at the top right side of the Styles tab. There is a little menu (three horizontal lines with a small triangle pointing downward). This is where you manage Styles Catogories. Those are the equivalent to groups.

Cheers,
d.

Here is a screenshot of what I have. Is there a way to create a folder or a new category to put specific styles in it?

Capture d’écran 2018-12-15 à 17.20.09.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Glyphs said:

Here is a screenshot of what I have. Is there a way to create a folder or a new category to put specific styles in it?

Capture d’écran 2018-12-15 à 17.20.09.png

Hi @Glyphs,

your screenshot shows the 'Text Styles' panel. Make sure to look at 'View > Studio > Styles'.

Looking at your prior post I have a feeling that you wrote 'Styles' in your post but actually meant 'Text Styles'. 'Text Styles' are a different thing than 'Styles'.

If you really are asking for grouping 'Text Styles' there currently is no option to organise them freely in groups in this panel. 'Show Hierarchical' groups the styles in regard to their dependencies.

Sorry if I mislead you.
d.


Affinity Designer 1.7.3.481 (beta 1.8.0.486)   |   Affinity Photo 1.7.3.481 (beta 1.8.0.486)   |   Affinity Publisher 1.7.3.481 (beta 1.8.0.502)
Affinity Designer for iPad 1.7.0.7   |   Affinity Photo for iPad 1.6.8.77

Windows 10 (1809) 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Glyphs said:

Is there a way to create a Styles folder and put styles into this folder in the Styles tab, for example?

You can't create folders for the styles you created but there are ways you can organise them similarly to folders.

First of all if you don't want to use the styles that are created automatically by Publisher you can delete them by Detaching them.

Secondly, you can group your styles by creating a Group style in the Style Editor. All styles derived from that Group style will be grouped as if they were in the same folder.

You can create as many groups as you need.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Seneca said:

You can't create folders for the styles you created but there are ways you can organise them similarly to folders.

First of all if you don't want to use the styles that are created automatically by Publisher you can delete them by Detaching them.

Secondly, you can group your styles by creating a Group style in the Style Editor. All styles derived from that Group style will be grouped as if they were in the same folder.

You can create as many groups as you need.

 

I meant "Text styles", but you seem to have answered the question. I know how to create Group Styles, and I did group a few styles by mistakes. The thing is I don't really know how I did it (beside creating a group style based on an existing text style), nor the logic of it. Is there a way to create a group style so that all my customized text styles are in it? Can I do this for character styles and paragraphs styles separately? Is there a way to create subgroups inside a group?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Glyphs said:

I meant "Text styles", but you seem to have answered the question. I know how to create Group Styles, and I did group a few styles by mistakes. The thing is I don't really know how I did it (beside creating a group style based on an existing text style), nor the logic of it. Is there a way to create a group style so that all my customized text styles are in it? Can I do this for character styles and paragraphs styles separately? Is there a way to create subgroups inside a group?

When you create a Text Style you decide whether it is a Character, Paragraph, or Group style. There are radio buttons for that on the dialog.

Or, to directly create a Group style you'd use the 3rd button at the bottom of the Text Styles panel:
image.png.cbac1ed60ed095e32fafe5909346c27d.png

For more info, try the Help, using "group styles" (without the quotes) as the search argument. The first hit (on Windows, at least) is for Text Style Types which may get you started, but there are other relevant ones, too. Also try the Designer Help if something's odd in the Publisher Help.


-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1903 (18362.356), 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz, GeForce GTX 970
Affinity Photo 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.486 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.486 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.499 Beta

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

When you create a Text Style you decide whether it is a Character, Paragraph, or Group style. There are radio buttons for that on the dialog.

Or, to directly create a Group style you'd use the 3rd button at the bottom of the Text Styles panel:
image.png.cbac1ed60ed095e32fafe5909346c27d.png

For more info, try the Help, using "group styles" (without the quotes) as the search argument. The first hit (on Windows, at least) is for Text Style Types which may get you started, but there are other relevant ones, too. Also try the Designer Help if something's odd in the Publisher Help.

Yes. What I don't know, is how to put text styles in a group styles. I see it's possible, but I don't understand how it happens.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Glyphs said:

Yes. What I don't know, is how to put text styles in a group styles. I see it's possible, but I don't understand how it happens.

Have you read the Help? If so, is there something specific it didn't answer?


-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1903 (18362.356), 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz, GeForce GTX 970
Affinity Photo 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.486 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.486 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.499 Beta

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Have you read the Help? If so, is there something specific it didn't answer?

I actually have some trouble accessing the online help. Here is an image of what I have (in French, sorry).

Capture d’écran 2018-12-16 à 17.04.21.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Glyphs said:

I actually have some trouble accessing the online help. Here is an image of what I have (in French, sorry).

The Help I'm referring to isn't online; it's built into the Affinity products and is located on your system. On windows we use the Help menu within the application, but I don't know how it works on Mac.

As an alternative you could try the Help within Affinity Designer if you have it installed, or try the online version for Designer here (note: there's a language selection on the lower left if you need to change it).


-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1903 (18362.356), 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz, GeForce GTX 970
Affinity Photo 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.486 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.486 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.499 Beta

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

These are the Terms of Use you will be asked to agree to if you join the forum. | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.