You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Text Styles Settings

2 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

The Help I'm referring to isn't online; it's built into the Affinity products and is located on your system. On windows we use the Help menu within the application, but I don't know how it works on Mac.

As an alternative you could try the Help within Affinity Designer if you have it installed, or try the online version for Designer here (note: there's a language selection on the lower left if you need to change it).

Thanks! I finally found out how to do it using the Designer Help.

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Glyphs said:

On another subject: is there a way to have a TOC Style with Initial Cap only (like in the word "Cap")?

I'm not sure from that description exactly what you want. Can you provide a more complete example?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Thanks.

I'm not sure that can be done. I had thought that there should be a way to force title-case via settings in the Text Style, but I don't see that.

There is a setting called "Titling" but it doesn't do anything that I can see.

As an alternative, you might try entering the actual text as "Chapter" and setting your heading style to force all caps. That should make it turn out as "CHAPTER" in the text but allow it to be "Chapter" in the ToC. (I'm not sure if you'll need any adjustments to the ToC styles, too. I need to do an experiment.)

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

Yes, that alternative approach works, and it only requires adjusting the heading styles, not the ToC styles.

-- Walt
PC:

Thanks! It's not the easiest way to create a TOC, but it does work. I also noticed that a new TOC style is created each time a new TOC is generated. I am trying to have a TOC with dots in Tab Stops, but each time I am creating a new TOC, the Tab Stops are reset. Is there a way to create a TOC style, and have it be the TOC style by default for every new TOC, instead of having a new style generated for each TOC?

On 12/13/2018 at 8:51 PM, walt.farrell said:

I don't know what InDesign has, but Publisher already supports Styles for Text Frames.

Set up the Text Frame the way you want (font, font size, alignment, any other Text Frame properties you want). Make sure it's selected in the Layers panel. In the Styles panel create a new style based on the selection.

Rename it to something appropriate, and later you can drag that Style onto any other Text Frame to give it those same characteristics.

Thanks for this suggestion. I have a number of questions.

First, while I can create a Style using the Add Style from Selection command, I can't find a way to name or re-name the style.

Second, when I apply the new Style to a a second text frame, instead of the operation limiting itself to these Text Frame properties:

image.png.c0ac1249df87e9f25d244a3a9db12250.png

it also alters other attributes of the text that is already inside the second frame.

Did I misunderstand your suggestion?

Using macOS 10.13.6 and Publisher 1.9.3

21 hours ago, cubesquareredux said:

Thanks for this suggestion. I have a number of questions.

First, while I can create a Style using the Add Style from Selection command, I can't find a way to name or re-name the style.

Second, when I apply the new Style to a a second text frame, instead of the operation limiting itself to these Text Frame properties:

image.png.c0ac1249df87e9f25d244a3a9db12250.png

it also alters other attributes of the text that is already inside the second frame.

Did I misunderstand your suggestion?

First: Having created the Style, you can use its right-click context menu to rename it.

Second: I think you would need to apply the style to an empty Text Frame. And even then, some additional Text properties (font, font size, fill, stroke) will be set as the initial defaults for the text that you will add into the new Text Frame.

You did not misunderstand the suggestion, but I was remiss in not mentioning that this approach is for empty Text Frames, to set their initial characteristics.

-- Walt
PC:

On 12/25/2018 at 5:54 PM, Glyphs said:

Thanks! It's not the easiest way to create a TOC, but it does work. I also noticed that a new TOC style is created each time a new TOC is generated. I am trying to have a TOC with dots in Tab Stops, but each time I am creating a new TOC, the Tab Stops are reset. Is there a way to create a TOC style, and have it be the TOC style by default for every new TOC, instead of having a new style generated for each TOC?

In the Table of Contents panel, there's an option TOC Style. By default this increments every time you create a new TOC, but you can reset it back to TOC to reuse the previous style.

3 hours ago, Dave Harris said:

In the Table of Contents panel, there's an option TOC Style. By default this increments every time you create a new TOC, but you can reset it back to TOC to reuse the previous style. 

Why does it generate a new TOC Style for each generated TOC? Wouldn't it be more logical to reuse the existing TOC style or let the user specify a new TOC style if the layout has to be different? To be honest I can't think of a good reason to create a new TOC style for each TOC considering that using styles is done for consistency and this behaviour seems to counteract that.

In my opinion it would be better if the user has the option to specify if an existing style has to be used or a new style has to be created when generating a new TOC, either upon generating the TOC or as a setting in the document/program properties/options. The current way just introduces additional work that in most cases is probably not wanted.

25 minutes ago, Arte said:

Why does it generate a new TOC Style for each generated TOC? Wouldn't it be more logical to reuse the existing TOC style or let the user specify a new TOC style if the layout has to be different? To be honest I can't think of a good reason to create a new TOC style for each TOC considering that using styles is done for consistency and this behaviour seems to counteract that.

In my opinion it would be better if the user has the option to specify if an existing style has to be used or a new style has to be created when generating a new TOC, either upon generating the TOC or as a setting in the document/program properties/options. The current way just introduces additional work that in most cases is probably not wanted.

It's currently geared towards documents that have more than one table of contents. We found that in that case, people usually want them to look different. For example, one will usually be the main contents for the document and the other something like a table of figures. I've logged for the case where there is intended to be only one ToC to be reconsidered. Usually one would refresh the ToC rather than delete it and re-insert it.