You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Brushes - context menu

Here a right-click-context-menu for all kind of brush-tools, like smudge, dodgeburn… wich should appear on the current mouse-position like other context-menus.

brsuh menu.jpg

First row = Favorite Brushes. They are always the same. But i can simple replace by dragdrop another one.

Second row = Last used brushes.

Third row = Fast rotation in 90°. The first symbol is jumping to saved rotation angle and by dragging left/right/up/down it will manually rotate.

Dynamics = Dynamics on/off. If on the brush works with its saved dynamic settings, like x-jitter, color-random, flow-changes…. But if off. There will be a static brush, with nor dynamically changes. In the example is off (no checkmark) - so each brush will be static one, independently from its saved dynamic-settings.

Keep current = Just change the textures/images of brushes when selecting another one, but hold all current attributes like size, opacity, flow, wet edges, dynamics …. In the example its on, so the saved parameter-values of each brush i select will be disabled and just the current settings will used, just the textures of this brush will changed.

Synchronize tools = If i switch maybe between brush and eraser, this setting decides if each tool uses its own last brush, or the current one will used for all types of-brush-like-tools. Do you have other favorites or last used „brushes“ for eg. smudge and dodge? So this option also decides how the first 2 rows will appear.

Flow, Color-Jitter, Accumulation, Saturation-Jitter = Just a placeholder, in fact that could be size-jitter, repeat or color-jitter, x-jitter… Its on you. Here your most used 5 parameters will appear, you have chosen as special preference. As soon i mouse-hover the name will replaced by a slider and i can directly change the amount here, like in the example, no need for click or whatever, just mouse-over.However this are temporally settings and will not overwrite the brush.

More = opens the brush-panel direct here.

Overwrite, Duplicate ans Save in folder = belongs in fact to the brush-panel. Old behavior is, that all settings in brush-window will automatically overwrite the whole brush, without asking. I absolutely not like this „feature“.* In 90% i use this panel for temporarily change of the current brush and in the other 10% i would say „overwrite“ .

Duplicate does it what says: creating an duplicate with the current settings. Save in… will save the current brush in the category. (Maybe other ones like the automatically overwrite behavior, so give us an option how it will handled.)

BTW: I really prefer this kind of view of brushes. So also give an option that the normal brush-panel shows the brushes in this kind. (Show them all in this quader-size will full opacity… independently from its saved opacity/flow-settings and its saved size).

Show this brushes in rows and columns with the possibility to keep „empty places“  or divide-lines for better search and find. And lets select as many brushes i like and batch delete or move to another category in one action. I could eg fast move dozens of brushes and combine eg. all my daub-categories into one-big-category, just with some divide-line to differ the „sub-categorys“.

OSX 12.5  / iMac Retina 27" / Radeon Pro 580X / Metall: on! --- WWG1WGA WW!

• 4 weeks later...

I'm all for a context menu/mini brush palette but I think it would need to be much more compact than your mockup. You don't want an endless context menu hovering on your viewport when all you need to do is to quickly pick a brush or change basic settings.

IMO it should contain a color picker/mini palette as well - and be user-customizable.

The sculpting tool ZBrush has an interesting approach where you press and hold the space bar to show the menu. You can pick and adjust as needed and to make the menu go away you just let go of the space bar again. Very fluid to work with once you get the hang of it.