You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Copying and pasting selection in different Affinity doc tabs

Ok, so I'll try to phrase this question as clearly as possible

I am experimenting with cutting selection of one photo layer (background) into another that is a new tab in Affinity. With beginners luck I was able to get it how I wanted it to look, the selection that is, in the second photo (in the second tab) with the ability to RESIZE and MOVE.

This is what I want, to be able to cut, copy and resize the selection from the first photo to the second one.

But now I can't cut and copy a selection in such a fashion that it would be resizable in the second image like before. I think I played around with something in "refine" dropdown when selection brush tool was clicked.

Please advise. Getting a bit frustrated trying to cut, copy, and resize the selection. Can only cut and copy it into the photo without ability to move it or make it smaller.

Thank you!

Gabe,

Hi, yeah it is on a new layer. Last time it also went on a new layer. Do you mean I can move and rescale by performing additional actions on the new selection copied on the new layer. And if so how would I rescale? Make the selection again and do what? 

Because what happened last time was that the newly pasted selection layer already had the rescale/move option around it with arrows without having to perform any additional steps except for dragging with the cursor. I can't seem to get it to appear that way again...

Thanks!

Ok just update, yeah I'm looking into the move tool and everything here https://affinity.help/photo/en-US.lproj/index.html?page=pages/Selections/selections_transform.html?title=Moving and transforming pixel selections

I know this is kind of granular, but still wondering if there is a way to paste/copy selection and have it be ready to be moved without going through this additional steps in the new  layer with the option around it...really wishing I saved those docs with the history haha :2_grimacing:

Cheers!

22 minutes ago, lama555 said:

without going through this additional steps in the new  layer with the option around it...

Er, what extra steps ?

I just selected the speedboat from the first image using the selection brush, pressed Copy (Ctrl + C) and pasted (Ctrl + V) it into the second image, selected it with the move tool then I can drag the handles to resize it however I want or just move it.

speedy.jpg.bdf7a4fe5852b127dfec49b68122a7ad.jpg

boat.jpg.19569408049a9a30467c2fdd1aa96a2b.jpg

What happens when you do that ?

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

6 hours ago, toltec said:

Er, what extra steps ?

I just selected the speedboat from the first image using the selection brush, pressed Copy (Ctrl + C) and pasted (Ctrl + V) it into the second image, selected it with the move tool then I can drag the handles to resize it however I want or just move it.

What happens when you do that ?

Well, when I did that it worked :5_smiley:

Not sure what I was doing to it earlier today

in my defense, I definitely didn't highlight the move tool for the selection the first few times  and the selection somehow had the move box already on it right after I pasted. Not sure why.

But anyways, thank you so much!!

Larissa