You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Brush Texture Offset

I would like to suggest the feature of being able to have a brush setting within the custom brush dialog in the texture setting that would allow for the texture to be offset with each stroke.

I find over time that lots of textures used for any given brush can have their unique pattern start to appear if the texture is not seamless (and even then you can). I would like to able to have another setting other than "nozzle" or "final" that would allow for random (or custom) rotation or offsetting of the texture applied to the brush, for each stroke laid down. 

The other issue with the current settings is that without the offsetting of the texture, you can never really "fill in" the texture no matter the level of pressure. This really limits the level of build paintings can receive.

• 5 months later...

This, absolutely.

Really sorry if I'm missing something in the brush settings here folks, but as Sullyman says, some sort of offset randomisation (having the texture align seperately and 'build up' with each brush stroke, rather than appearing as a static, repeating pattern 'cut into' the painted area) is an absolutely key feature that would REALLY open up the brush options for digital painters and give the brushes a pretty much limitless potential for variety, control and natural feel.

Personally, as someone who likes creating their own brushes, this is genuinely the only thing that's currently preventing me from using either Designer or Photo as my 'big' goto app. 

The most direct examples I can think of to illustrate the point are the 'Per Tip' and 'Offset Randomness' options in Sketchbook Pro.