You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

It takes over 20-30 minutes to enter tone mapping or develop persona. In general performance is painfully slow although my laptop is well above the recommended specs.

I'm on an i7-7700HQ 2.8ghy proccesor, Nvidia GeForce 1050ti with 4GB, 16GB of DDR4 ram, and affinity is on a an SSD hard drive.

I've tried switching all options under the performance tabs, but nothing seems to help. Would really appreciate some help as the program is currently unusable for me.

Send your file and describe the procedure, so you can try it too. This makes it possible to verify, if there is a problem in any of your settings, or it is a feature/lack of a program.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

Well that file seems to have nearly a half gigabyte, so I'm not surprised here. Especially when you work on Win.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

2 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

Well that file seems to have nearly a half gigabyte, so I'm not surprised here.

That's should not be a reason to make modern machines unresponsive. Here's a folder view with a few of my Photoshop files, none of them is slow or makes PS unresponsive. There's really no need to defend bad performance, it doesn't help anybody and surely not Serif.

2018-12-13_14h25_20.jpg

1 hour ago, Liorla said:

Thanks for your quick replies! I tried the beta, but it's pretty much the same unfortunately. 

Here's a link to a typical file Affinity is strugling with. Even when I scale it down to 1920x1080 it takes about 7-8 minutes to enter the tone mapping person

I can confirm that the file isn't crazy complex and that it takes minutes to switch over to Tonemapping. I canceled out at some point.
The app gets very slow all all over, it clearly can't handle the file.

5 hours ago, stokerg said:

could you also try the latest beta from here and see if this is any quicker for you.

I tested the shared file in the most recent Beta. The thread-title is an accurate description.

Win10 | i7 6850k | GTX1070 | 32GB RAM

23 minutes ago, hifred said:

There's really no need to defend bad performance...

That was no defend, I know quite well of these problems and do encounter those too, especially on the Win platform here. Thus I personally use the tools mostly on OSX here, since on Win I can't very well. The software even often has performance problems with small files and if you throw big ones in there, well... Also using .Net managed code for certain tasks might not be the best for performance here.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

• Staff
45 minutes ago, Liorla said:

Even when I scale it down to 1920x1080 it takes about 7-8 minutes to enter the tone mapping person

Scaled down version went into Tone mapping much quicker for me but the full sized version has just reached a quarter of the progress bar after 6 minutes. The QA guys have identified another issue where HDR merge is taking a very long time, so i'll add a link to this thread on that report, as it may be the same issue but affecting a different part of the program.

HDR merge as well as the develop persona are pretty much the same for me as well. In case it helps, I'm generally working with projections of 360° images (usually 10000x5000  and about 100mb) , but even when scaled down to a small size as hifred & stokerg mentioned (thanks again for your input!), the performance is excruciatingly slow. I'm pretty much in love with affinity , but can't really use it when switching personas/hdr merge takes forever.

• 4 months later...

Hi I am new to Affinity 4 weeks

I am using a old Win 10 machine Amd E 350 processor 6 GB Ram and an onboard Video Chip. A very base line computer

Strange with the slow performance users are getting

My Affinity loads from the desktop in  7 seconds ready to open a file

I can open a RAW file 18,000 Kb  and 4028 X 3850 on less than 10 seconds  Not huge files but I cant complain about Affinity performance

tone mapping  takes less than  30 seconds.

Just my 2 cents

Edited by ferd
correct typo