You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Copy Selection to Another Photo

Just learning.  I want to copy myself into a group picture.  I had my subjects stand side by side and took a photo.  Then I had the last on on the left stay and the rest dismissed from the frame. I went and stood where I would next to the last one on the left.  Then that person was dismissed from the frame and someone took my picture from the same spot I was standing so there is now just a picture of me.  I've been able to use the Selection Tool Brush to isolate me in my picture.  Please explain how to copy "me" and overlay my image on the group photo..  Thanks!

• Staff

Hi Tangot2,

Welcome to the forums :)

There are a few ways you can do this, but the most simple is to select yourself using your preferred selection method, as you've already done with the Selection Brush Tool, then simply use Edit>Copy (or Ctrl/Cmd & C), open the image with your subjects in and then use Edit>Paste (or Ctrl/Cmd & V) and you should see the selected area from the previous image as a new layer which can be manipulated into place and then blended as required. I hope this helps!

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

15 hours ago, Tangot2 said:

Please explain how to copy "me" and overlay my image on the group photo..  Thanks!

Ho @Tangot2

As @Dan Csays, its just a matter of copying and pasting. There is a pretty good Serif video that shows this and how to blend the pasted object in.

The subject is less 'mobile' than you are but the technique is the same. Hope it helps you :)

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

• 4 months later...

Hi

All I get when I pasts is the outer selection. 

I have cut out the image from the background, copy then paste but I get the whole image.

Tried to save the image in png then when I import out get the background but not the cut out I want.

The instructions above are SO... simple but they just not work 

When I paste... the image I have cut out becomes transparent and reveals the what is underneath and the rest is white. I have done with both ways as instructed in the video. IE masked and unmasked

Hope someone can help

Thanks

3 hours ago, Totus said:

All I get when I pasts is the outer selection

Try to invert the selection (Selection > Invert Pixel Selection or ctrl/cmnd-I). Then copy as before.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630