You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

how would you go to create a 3d logo like this?

I'd totally do any stuff of this sort in 3D. And yeah, Blender is surely the best bet. I still model mostly in Wings 3D, then export to Blender. But is mostly a habit and a love for minimalist-efficient interfaces.

So You recommend Blender ?

I also do, and also recommend going straight to 2.8  beta. Is a beta, but is surprisingly stable as a beta. The learning curve will be extremely easier than with the (also wonderful, am still using it) latest stable, 2.79. Also, is best, as 2.8 is the new UI and uses for the future, so best is to start exactly from there.

I have done all sort of 3D effects faked in 2D at companies, as was required to do so. In PS and/or Illustrator. And while almost everything is possible (to the extent one can do a hyper realistic painting piece, and I can tell you you can make it almost real, with some years or decades of training) but with some exceptions (ie, other than a product box which is not required to be hyper realistic, you see this in a lot of ads) just launching your 3D app and making something quick is the sane solution. If know anything about 3D, is harder. Now, if you are going to do this often, I'd totally recommend to learn at least some basics. If is a one-off, I'd quite prefer if some friend would make it for me, or, if want something high end, maybe paying for some work hours of a pro, to get you though it and with modifications, etc. For a longer run, if you are fine with using time on it, best if you learn to use Blender, IMO.

As commercial packages with an easy UI, Xara is always among the best for a learning curve in the UI, in my opinion. I kind of... prefer to often recommend (but in this case, for this matter, is an overkill) sth like Cinema 4D, as it has both the ease of use of a click and point, icon full UI, but also has a ton of depth, and professional studios in animation, architecture, previz, etc, are using it  extensively. Last  time I checked was purchase-only, and not crazy pricing (yet high) for what 3D apps are becoming in price or subscription ( ie, Autodesk's...) costs.

2.8 improvements are making us Blender users drool while not salivate savagely. It's incredible how many great improvements, even in main philosophy. And it was great already... Just now quite more accessible for newcomers. 

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

11 hours ago, musicfed said:

Did you use Blender to do this?

No, I used Lightwave 2015 (pre PBR (physically based rendering), which it uses in the current version).

And yes Blender also has PBR... in it's Cycles render engine.

.... you can do this in just about anything. It's a super simple object...
652057020_ScreenShot2018-12-20at12_26_50PM.png.230ff340d07a59eb7fd5b28340315ed0.png

Note to musicfed and Uncle_Mez,

I messed around w. Blender for some years, but  used other commercial 3D software until about 5 years ago before retirement. This discussion reminded me that I had d-loaded a recent version some months ago, and hadn't even opened it. It seems to me to be a very full featured program. I'm working thru the 30+ pages of docs on the user interface. And anticipating the 70+ on modeling. As "Bones" said, proficiency is not something that will happen overnight. There's 25 years of development there to review.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

10 minutes ago, JimmyJack said:

No, I used Lightwave 2015 (pre PBR (physically based rendering), which it uses in the current version).

And yes Blender also has PBR... in it's Cycles render engine.

.... you can do this in just about anything. It's a super simple object...
652057020_ScreenShot2018-12-20at12_26_50PM.png.230ff340d07a59eb7fd5b28340315ed0.png

Gosh! nostalgia. Haven't used Lightwave in decades. Relevant to the thread, I was at a convention where Allen Hastings showed me his partially implemented bump mapping feature. Got distracted by Kiki Stackhammer's dress. 

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

Huion WH1409 tablet

42 minutes ago, gdenby said:

Note to musicfed and Uncle_Mez,

I messed around w. Blender for some years, but  used other commercial 3D software until about 5 years ago before retirement. This discussion reminded me that I had d-loaded a recent version some months ago, and hadn't even opened it. It seems to me to be a very full featured program. I'm working thru the 30+ pages of docs on the user interface. And anticipating the 70+ on modeling. As "Bones" said, proficiency is not something that will happen overnight. There's 25 years of development there to review.

You probably will learn it faster and and easier than any 3D newcomer, that's for sure. Only  thing is that is quite different in all, but 3D is 3D. Like anything to be learnt, you need to "forget a bit" when facing it, of course, not the core of your 3D knowledge, which I'm sure will translate perfectly, and will be super key (pun intended), and will be up and running more solidly than a lot of even seasoned Blender users, but I mean, forget in the matter of not "expecting" things on certain way, and in certain place, just expecting to be surprised and adapting to it, to its own philosophy, is the way to win in Blender. Is way faster for learning anything.

I was a Maxer at a bunch of companies, it was hard for me to learn Blender, but I hadn't an urgent need (indeed, was curiosity and my eternal empathy/sympathy for the underdog), so I learnt progressively in a need to nerd style, only learning what I needed for each project/gig.  Well... was WAY harder for me to learn XSI back then, very close to XSI to get cancelled (wish I had known before purchasing Foundation...). Its nodes system made me almost crazy. But served later on to understand better the very powerful node editor in Blender, which is key for really getting all advantages of Cycles.

I'd be to think you'll be up to speed in months.... Dominating the whole app is another thing. Is like aiming to be an FX/particles/physics/cloth-soft bodies expert, low cage/high count modeler, animator, texturer, uv-mapping genius,  rendering expert handling well all the PBR workflow, video editor/composer, rigger magician,... lately even 2D animator, as Grease pencil has evolved way beyond its initial objective. I mean, I know a bunch of these areas, have worked in several, but....ALL, at 100% ... well, that's a weird specie, haven't found a full 100% in all that where I could say the person really covers all perfectly in every and each of those areas. Even generalists do specialize in sth, have weaker areas... I would not over stress/feel overwhelmed with Blender(or any package) immense capabilities.. they are there just for when you might need 'em... or... that's my take...

PD: I'd focus in 2.8, specially if starting with it (or mostly).

Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

3 minutes ago, SrPx said:

You probably will learn it faster and and easier than any 3D newcomer, that's for sure. Only  thing is that is quite different in all, but 3D is 3D. Like anything to be learnt, you need to "forget a bit" when facing it, of course, not the core of your 3D knowledge, which I'm sure will translate perfectly, and will be super key (pun intended), and will be up and running more solidly than a lot of even seasoned Blender users, but I mean, forget in the matter of not "expecting" things on certain way, and in certain place, just expecting to be surprised and adapting to it, to its own philosophy, is the way to win in Blender. Is way faster for learning anything.

I will dig into Blender some. I'm very impressed w. what its become. Looking over the docs, there's lots of stuff I do mostly understand. Unfortunately, I have very little time available, but can see enough potential in it that I would recommend it to those who do.

Huion WH1409 tablet

20 minutes ago, gdenby said:

I will dig into Blender some. I'm very impressed w. what its become. Looking over the docs, there's lots of stuff I do mostly understand. Unfortunately, I have very little time available, but can see enough potential in it that I would recommend it to those who do.

Well, at the time I learnt it, I was very busy too... one kind of learn only what's needed.... ;)