You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Images should be constrained by Picture Frame (OLD thread)

@fde101

@Seneca

@dominik

@haakoo

Okay, I thought this trough...

It would be a premium solution to me getting some kind of option for the Picture Frame or a second Picture Frame Tool that behaves like in the videos.
Ok, I made that clear and I also see that InDesign has not such a feature. This makes it likely that Publisher will not get it, too. Since InDesign is the role model here.

Do you guys think, even if InDesign doesn't do that, we can agree on this (what I consider to be a bare minimum)?:

If the Picture Frame is a rectangle make the Image edges snap to the Picture Frame edges (when it comes close).

You may configure that in the Snapping Manager and supress it as with Alt ("ignore snapping") as you are used to, but there is a option you can put an image layers left top edge exactly onto the left top edge of the bounding picture frame (for example).

Do you think this should be possible or not?

If not, please explain. I really start to think that everything InDesign cannot do should not be able in Publisher as if most people here indeed want to have an exact copy with nothing change (beside the price and subscription model). :35_thinking:

EDIT: Added video:

Windows 10 Pro x64 (1903). Intel Core i7-9700K @ 3.60GHz, 32 GB memory, NVidia RTX 2080
Affinity Photo 1.7.2.471, Affinity Designer 1.7.2.471, Affinity Publisher 1.7.2.471

5 minutes ago, haakoo said:

I don't care about indesign.

You kind of avoided my question. :-D

Windows 10 Pro x64 (1903). Intel Core i7-9700K @ 3.60GHz, 32 GB memory, NVidia RTX 2080
Affinity Photo 1.7.2.471, Affinity Designer 1.7.2.471, Affinity Publisher 1.7.2.471

33 minutes ago, Steps said:

It would be a premium solution to me getting some kind of option for the Picture Frame or a second Picture Frame Tool that behaves like in the videos.

Hello Steps,

I hope we are good. 9_9

Are u looking for something like this? I hope I didn't misunderstand what you are after.

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

iPad Pro (10.5-inch) • 256GB • Version 16.4

@Seneca

What I'm looking after and tried to demonstrate in the videos is what happens when you do not move the Picture Frame, but the Image inside the Picture Frame. If you watch again my videos you see how I move the image and I it always resides in the frame. This is what I want.

If that is not possible a better snapping would help me here. Please see my video of Publisher above how I move the Image edge over the Picture Frame edge, but no snapping happens. This is what I at least would like to have.

My main problem is after I moved the Image I have to correct it with moving by keyboard so that I do not have space between the upper edge of the Picture Frame and the Image. This space annoys me.

@Seneca Yes!

If I can't have the bevahiour from the Pixum and Rossmann software shown in the videos the snapping shown in the video is at least what I want.

Can you please tell me precisly what options / preferrences have to be turned on and what tools I have to use to have the snapping like in your video?

After understanding that I would like to ask Serif why this is not enabled by default.

OMG! I found it out!

It's this button that enabled moving with snapping.

It's called "Edit content directly".

Whatever that means... I does "moving with snapping".

I don't know why this is a separate tool, what the label means and why it is not default behaviour, but I will use it.

screen.PNG

At Serif:

Separate from that may suggestion to have a mode for the Picture Frame tool to enable
behaviour like the photobook apps of Rossmann and Pixum shall remain.
I still think this would be very useful.

Just now, freischwimmer said:

By the way: Is there a opportunity to keep my own pictures in the studio. The place image tools shows my selected images but only until i use another tool. The stock "visual" does this for stock photos.

I found the easiest way is to drag them into from an open Explorer window. The place tool kind a su... err... does not fit in my workflow.

That this button even exists and the normal move tool does not the same thing is a huge usability flaw.

I hope you can see that. This is likely one of the things you get used to and blind vor over time. 

One day you wake up and this feels natural because you saw it so often.

With a fresh view of a newbie you see the problems.

This is why we do hallway testing in software development because seeing the whole day the same thing makes you blind.

11 minutes ago, freischwimmer said:

after the use of edit content directly  the size of the image related the the picture Frame gets lost. So increasing the size of the picture frame doesnt scale up the image it just shows the formerly hidden parts of the image. Is there a way around?

It looks like the "Lock Children" button is still (or again?) being ignored.  I believe that scaling the frame with the move tool when Lock Children is not checked should be having the desired effect, but for whatever reason it currently is not.

1 minute ago, fde101 said:

It looks like the "Lock Children" button is still (or again?) being ignored.  I believe that scaling the frame with the move tool when Lock Children is not checked should be having the desired effect, but for whatever reason it currently is not.

Do you know if there is a related bug report in the other forum?

1 hour ago, Steps said:

OMG! I found it out!

Great. However, please remember that you still need Snapping to be enabled and please experiment with the snapping options in that pop-down window. Once you've found your optimal snapping options, save them as a preset so that you can call this behaviour any time you need to.

Best

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

iPad Pro (10.5-inch) • 256GB • Version 16.4

1 hour ago, haakoo said:

Yup,drag/drop from explorer or a photo manager is the way to go 

Any idea how to avoid if with dragging from a photo manager then APub does not place the picture but a text frame with its metadata instead?

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

5 hours ago, thomaso said:

Any idea how to avoid if with dragging from a photo manager then APub does not place the picture but a text frame with its metadata instead?

No, but sorry, this is off topic.

Since all have been said maybe Serif Staff can give a feedback to my suggestion and close discussion.