You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Images should be constrained by Picture Frame (OLD thread)

10 hours ago, Steps said:

Time will answer that and right now this is not entirely clear to me.

This is due to the early stage of the program and the lack of a roadmap. This will become clearer over time.

While ease of use is certainly a nice thing, this can be accomplished in various ways and different users have different needs. It is almost impossible to please all these aspects.

There must be a reason why Adobe created their 'Elements' line of products for a specific user group.
I myself turned away from Xara Designer because they went the route in a direction I would call 'painting by numbers' (while not improving their core tools over a long time).

I see many 'ruff edges' within the Affinity Products but even more I see a team looking into improving things and listening to the users. I find that very attractive.

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

3 minutes ago, Fixx said:

About the original question: just place your images, scale them as you will. Use crop tool to crop. Done.

You are not helpful at all. You missed the point.

Windows 10 Pro x64 (1903). Intel Core i7-9700K @ 3.60GHz, 32 GB memory, NVidia RTX 2080
Affinity Photo 1.7.2.471, Affinity Designer 1.7.2.471, Affinity Publisher 1.7.2.471

7 hours ago, Steps said:

You are not helpful at all. You missed the point.

I do not see the point. What I described is the workflow most of us consider normal. (It is though true that for example InDesign does not have a separate crop tool but you use mod keys to alter behaviour. The principle is the same though.)

24 minutes ago, Fixx said:

I do not see the point. What I described is the workflow most of us consider normal

Yeah, as I said: Not helpful.

Your answer only states that you did not understand my point. You even give no reason why. This is no valueable feedback.

Why do you post here anyway if you have nothing to say that helps the case? I don't get people like you, sorry.

Windows 10 Pro x64 (1903). Intel Core i7-9700K @ 3.60GHz, 32 GB memory, NVidia RTX 2080
Affinity Photo 1.7.2.471, Affinity Designer 1.7.2.471, Affinity Publisher 1.7.2.471

4 hours ago, Michail said:

What is an InDesign PDF? PDF is PDF!

Yes, of course you're right. What I meant is "a PDF created by InDesign".

There are some printers like Saal Digital that give out detailed specifications for the PDF to be able to be printed.
They also have a InDesign Plugin and templates for InDesign and PhotoShop. So you can use any tool to create it.

And on the other hand there are services like CEWE which only have a InDesign plugin and demand that you
have to use that to produce the PDF. No other details specified. So you can only use InDesign beside their
propritary end user photobook creation software.

My point was that many photo book printers say "hey, you can design a PDF with InDesign and send us that".
So InDesign is indeed used for photobooks and therefore this is a use case for Publisher, too.

Whenever I write "InDesign PDF", assume that this is short for "PDF export by InDesign using specific job profiles".

56 minutes ago, Steps said:

Why do you post here anyway if you have nothing to say that helps the case? I don't get people like you, sorry.

Sorry if you feel I cannot help. If you have suggestion how image handling would be better please state it. If not then handling the images as I explained is the common way of doing it.

For sure image handling is not perfect in Publisher – I am irked that you can have both framed and non-framed images. Unnecessary complication. Usual way would be to autoframe all placed images and make manipulation robust and simple.

Just now, Fixx said:

If you have suggestion how image handling would be better please state it.

You are joking, are you? I did that very detailed, even with sample videos.

My question was never how Image handling is done in Publisher. I know that. I just feel it could be done better.

Please read the things I wrote in this topic more careful and give feedback to my suggestion.

At Staff:

Please lock this discussion. It got way off-topic and turned into a general discussion about everything.
I will open a new clean thread trying to explain it again.

4 hours ago, Fixx said:

If you have suggestion how image handling would be better please state it.

Just for you I started over with a clean thread and fresh videos to explain again what I meant.

Please see if this helps you to understand.

If you still do not get it I give up explaining it to you, sorry.