You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Develop module, overlay paint tool

Hi, I'm trying to draw on a photo. I'm sure there are a dozen ways to do this but the Overlay Paint Tool in the Develop module seems to be one. How do I use it? I can draw ok with the tool but this creates an Overlay layer under the Master layer. I can't change the opacity of the master layer so the drawing is only visible when I select that Overlay. I can't see any way to move the layers or to flatten the layers so my brush strokes are invisible under a 100% opacity master layer and vanish as soon as I move to the Photo persona. Help! 

Thanks, 

John

Why don't you develop the photo and switch just over to the Photo Persona which offers much more tools and possibilities in this regard?

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

15 minutes ago, Tooslow said:

Hi, I'm trying to draw on a photo. I'm sure there are a dozen ways to do this but the Overlay Paint Tool in the Develop module seems to be one. How do I use it? I can draw ok with the tool but this creates an Overlay layer under the Master layer. I can't change the opacity of the master layer so the drawing is only visible when I select that Overlay. I can't see any way to move the layers or to flatten the layers so my brush strokes are invisible under a 100% opacity master layer and vanish as soon as I move to the Photo persona. Help! 

The Overlay Paint Tool is used to make selections.

It works a bit like making pixel selections in the Photo Persona where you would paint an overlay on the image to target just that area to apply an adjustment to. Like an exposure adjustment. It is not meant to do anything permanent to the image on its own.

As @v_kyrsuggests, you need to use the Photo Persona as there are no drawing tools in the Develop Persona, only adjustment tools.

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.