Hey everyone!

Sometimes, the connection to .afdesign files in Files.app is lost. This happens without moving any files.

When this problem occurs, saving from within the file will not overwrite the file in Files.app (it seems to do nothing at all) and when saving from outside the file, there will be a duplicate with the " 1" prefix. When trying to access the file in Files.app, it says the file cannot be found. In order to make it work again, "On My iPad" has to be disabled and enabled again to be able to access the file. I'm unsure whether or not you can solve this or if this is an iOS issue.
This can be quite inconvenient, since it happens about once every 30 minutes.

Best wishes,
Shu

Hey GabrielM!

Thanks for your reply. All my files are stored locally. I mostly use "On My iPad/Procreate/SomeFolder/", but I tried "On My iPad/Designer/" and it still fails to find files quite regularly, resulting in not being able to save over the file.
I am using Designer for iPad version 1.6.3 along with iOS 12.1's Files.app and I sometimes go to Files.app to see the time of the last edit for the file and sometimes it will not display the current time, even though I just saved and when that happens, Files.app isn't able to find the file (or at least it says that when I try to rename or duplicate it; it keeps displaying it, though), unless I deactivate and activate "On My iPad". However, strange enough, it must know there is a file named like that, because when I go to Designer and save from outside the file, it will create a duplicate with exactly that name and an additional " 1".

Affinity Designer & Photo NOT SAVING!! (several conditions)

I thought I would post in this thread also considering it appears to be a Files.app related bug.   Regarding number two, the export problem, I would be surprised if it is an iOS bug because I use Files.app regularly with dozens of other apps and no problems.

Two issues:

1) With both Affinity Designer, and Photo, the "Share" button will not work. It has been this way on my iPad Pro for several revisions of both programs. I was expecting a bug fix, but it hasn't happened yet. The Share button will depress, but nothing happens. If I press it a second time quickly, it will not depress again. If I wait 10 seconds or so, it will depress again, but still nothing happens.

2) The second problem is regarding the Export of slices in Affinity Designer. No matter what I try, it will only open iOS's "Files" app, but the option to save anything does not appear. I can change and traverse folders. I always select Designer folder "On My iPad" that I have saved other works in from affinity, but no save button appears ... you only have the default functions of the Files app.

iPad Pro 2 512 iOS 11.X

Designer 1.6.4.45

Photo 1.6.10.83

BTW ... does anyone know if there is a way to directly save to the iOS’s Photo app when using picture formats?  I have a workaround but it is cumbersome. Thanks

4C4EBFBD-2CAD-4DFB-A808-0019BED83B06.png

1AF39E07-9EE8-4158-A106-F1B3EA1D8C50.jpeg

3F4610AC-D9EB-4281-9C1D-AE6CCF0EA709.jpeg

3 hours ago, WildBill said:

1) With both Affinity Designer, and Photo, the "Share" button will not work. It has been this way on my iPad Pro for several revisions of both programs. I was expecting a bug fix, but it hasn't happened yet. The Share button will depress, but nothing happens. If I press it a second time quickly, it will not depress again. If I wait 10 seconds or so, it will depress again, but still nothing happens.

Hi there. I could not replicate this. Can you send us a screen recording with this in action?

4 hours ago, WildBill said:

2) The second problem is regarding the Export of slices in Affinity Designer. No matter what I try, it will only open iOS's "Files" app, but the option to save anything does not appear. I can change and traverse folders. I always select Designer folder "On My iPad" that I have saved other works in from affinity, but no save button appears ... you only have the default functions of the Files app.

Have a look at this video: https://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/tutorials/designer/ipad/video/273285740

4 hours ago, WildBill said:

BTW ... does anyone know if there is a way to directly save to the iOS’s Photo app when using picture formats?

Yes you can by going to Document > Export > Share > Save Image. 

Thanks for your replies!

On 12/11/2018 at 10:23 PM, DM1 said:

Have you tried doing a reset on the iPad?

No, I just set the iPad up from scratch (without restoring a backup to it). It's merely a few weeks old. Also, I did face a similar issue on my older iPad, which still happens (not being able to delete files from recently deleted files, stating it cannot be found, which is also solved by deactivating and activating "On My iPad").

On 12/12/2018 at 9:10 AM, GabrielM said:

That sounds like an iOS issue to me. 

Yes, this may very well be the case. Still, there may be a way for Serif to prevent this from happening, depending on the specifics of this problem. I am wondering why this doesn't seem to have shown up a lot. Do people actually use iCloud? (, which may be working without those issue in contrast to the local storage?)

@WildBill

I was facing the export slices problem as well, which seems to be intended. I guess this is just some weird integration of UI. You have to select a folder, then open it and you should return to Designer or Photo automatically, which should let you export the slices to the specified folder.

Concerning the share button, though, it seems to work for me without problems. And if I remember correctly, it may also let you save to Photos.app.

On 12/13/2018 at 10:52 PM, shushustorm said:

Yes, this may very well be the case. Still, there may be a way for Serif to prevent this from happening, depending on the specifics of this problem. I am wondering why this doesn't seem to have shown up a lot. Do people actually use iCloud? (, which may be working without those issue in contrast to the local storage?)

Any chance you can send us a screenshot of the error message? 

On 12/15/2018 at 10:58 AM, GabrielM said:

I will try to keep that in mind and next time I am facing this, I can make a screenshot. I currently don't use Designer or Photo a lot on iOS, but it happens rather frequently, so I may be able to provide a screenshot soon.

EDIT:

On 12/15/2018 at 10:58 AM, GabrielM said:

Here is what the alert looks like:
https://www.shushustorm.com/_Uploads/Serif/iOS/Alert.PNG
I encountered it in a different context, since I am not using Photo or Designer a lot on iOS right now, but it's the same alert.