You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I have a rectangle of a solid pantone colour and I need to print a image (diagram) with transparent background over the pantone.

The image is another pantone, I cant knock the image out of the rectangle of pantone so that the pantone shows through the transparent areas and doesn't overprint the diagram, is this possible in designer ?

Any help is most appreciated.

An example might help, preferably with a screen shot of the layers included and the Pantone colours mentioned

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

You could try making the Pantone you want to show through a child of the image. Think I have that in reverse lol!

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

3 hours ago, firstdefence said:

An example might help, preferably with a screen shot of the layers included and the Pantone colours mentioned

Hi Guys I hope this helps, I'm not sure that the grey is knocked out of the brown, in the pdf settings I honour the spot colours.
I need to be sure before this goes to the printer.

pantone test.afdesign

pantone_grey872x.afphoto

pantone test.pdf

Have you tried using the blend mode Erase?

Duplicate the embedded layer and change the blend mode to erase, the problem with this is it creates a bit of a halo. see image below.

3362169_ScreenShot2018-12-11at18_01_12.png.20a7811c681fa68116315b638224346e.png

1 hour ago, firstdefence said:

Have you tried using the blend mode Erase?

Duplicate the embedded layer and change the blend mode to erase, the problem with this is it creates a bit of a halo. see image below.

3362169_ScreenShot2018-12-11at18_01_12.png.20a7811c681fa68116315b638224346e.png

Thanks very much firstdefence that works very well and good enough for me.

I have output this to a print ready pdf file and on my screen it appears to have the slight halo, but after zooming in shows a perfect fit.

pantone test01.pdf

Your welcome glad we worked it out :D

3 minutes ago, stephen 488 said:

Hi Fix,

No I only wanted two pantone colours. 827 is the brown and 427 grey. I guess the image file is not 427 but CMYK any idea how can I get around this ?

Sure, I can get around it by using an application that can handle Pantone colors in a bitmap. But Affinity applications cannot contain Pantone colors in a bitmap.

You may be able to get an OK trace (make it vector) of the image and then color it with your gray Pantone of choice.

Thanks MikeW for pointing out the Affinity bitmap limitation.

Could I knock the bitmap out of a mask layer and put a rectangle of my pantone behind it ?

I tried doing what firstdefense says above....
but tried removing the top pantone, then placing a grey pantone panel under the brown. I found the erase mode was also removing the grey panel.

I'm sure this must be possible within designer. 
Any help is much appreciated.

1 hour ago, stephen 488 said:

Update, I got around this by making a group of the image and brown pantone (image in erase mode), then putting the grey pantone (rectangle filled with the pantone grey) layer to the back.

Thanks for all the help guys, it did help me.

Did you check the output in Acrobat or pdfToolbox? Consider uploading your resulting PDF.

Mike

4 minutes ago, stephen 488 said:

Hi Mike this is the file but unchecked ?

If the goal is to have both Pantone colors, this method also doesn't achieve that.

Thanks for the file...I was guessing it wouldn't work but wanted to be certain.

capture-002360.png.acecf58b5e2190d2dbb38a2c122e0665.png

6 minutes ago, stephen 488 said:

Thanks Mike, yes I need both colours, I am stuck now.

You need to use an application that allows the coloring of grayscale or 1-bit bitmaps. For the example here, I downloaded your file, exported the tree and converted it into a 1-bit bitmap at high resolution. In QuarkXPress, I then colored it with a Pantone gray.

capture-002361.png.b36821eb00f56d48d8a927bbbd9debf1.png

Is this a single page need? Does this illustration need to be part of a larger work? I don't know if Scribus can do this as it's been a long while since I had a Scribus job. You can likely download the trial version of QXP--which is a very short period. And request it be extended to 30 days.

Mike

7 minutes ago, MikeW said:

You need to use an application that allows the coloring of grayscale or 1-bit bitmaps. For the example here, I downloaded your file, exported the tree and converted it into a 1-bit bitmap at high resolution. In QuarkXPress, I then colored it with a Pantone gray.

capture-002361.png.b36821eb00f56d48d8a927bbbd9debf1.png

Is this a single page need? Does this illustration need to be part of a larger work? I don't know if Scribus can do this as it's been a long while since I had a Scribus job. You can likely download the trial version of QXP--which is a very short period. And request it be extended to 30 days.

Mike

Hi Mike this is part of a bigger job that is 3 pantones!. I tried colouring the image file in Affinity photo but as you know that didn't seem to work.

24 minutes ago, stephen 488 said:

Hi Mike this is part of a bigger job that is 3 pantones!. I tried colouring the image file in Affinity photo but as you know that didn't seem to work.

Then perhaps Affinity applications are not the right ones for the job at hand.