You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Possibility of trying a 32 bit version

I have waited patiently for the day when Serif would release an InDesign alternative. It was great to find a beta version is available. Unfortunately, it is only available for 64 bit desktops.

It may seem a non-issue to some. However, there are others like me who are restrained by OEM software. I cannot upgrade my PC as both my OS and Adobe Illustrator CS5 are 32 bit versions.

Affinity products could acquire a sizeable customer base in South Asia if a 32 bit version is also available. I will keep my fingers crossed!

Thank you.

• Staff

@DHL

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums :)

There is very little chance of us doing a 32-bit version, I would not say "never" but there are no plans for this, sorry.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

24 minutes ago, DHL said:

I cannot upgrade my PC as both my OS and Adobe Illustrator CS5 are 32 bit versions.

If you buy a new PC (as opposed to building one yourself) it’s highly likely to come with a 64-bit OS. Most 32-bit software products, including Adobe Illustrator CS5, should work fine on a 64-bit system.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

1 hour ago, Patrick Connor said:

@DHL

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums :)

There is very little chance of us doing a 32-bit version, I would not say "never" but there are no plans for this, sorry.

Thank you for welcoming me and for your quick response.:)

I wonder how many requests would be needed to nudge Serif into considering it?

1 hour ago, DHL said:

I wonder how many requests would be needed to nudge Serif into considering it?

Do you calculate how many fake accounts you need to request that feature again? :D

No, seriously, I never encountered any 32-bit software that did not run on a 64-bit system.

I run 32-bit Photoshop Elements 12 on 64-bit OS.

Windows 10 Pro x64 (1903). Intel Core i7-9700K @ 3.60GHz, 32 GB memory, NVidia RTX 2080
Affinity Photo 1.7.2.471, Affinity Designer 1.7.2.471, Affinity Publisher 1.7.2.471

3 hours ago, αℓƒяє∂ said:

If you buy a new PC (as opposed to building one yourself) it’s highly likely to come with a 64-bit OS. Most 32-bit software products, including Adobe Illustrator CS5, should work fine on a 64-bit system.

I posted a reply to your post but it seems to have vanished, So I shall explain again.

Local vendors of branded PCs have stopped offering Windows. Until a couple of years ago they offered the Windows 32 bit Starter. Now, all they offer is Ubuntu. For the price of a Dell loaded with Ubuntu, I can get an unused Adobe CS5 Creative Suite DVD on Ebay. What's more, I have 2 Windows 7 Pro 32 bit licences. I cannot afford to throw them away.

Nevertheless, thank you for your suggestion.

21 minutes ago, Steps said:

Do you calculate how many fake accounts you need to request that feature again? :D

No, seriously, I never encountered any 32-bit software that did not run on a 64-bit system.

I run 32-bit Photoshop Elements 12 on 64-bit OS.

I was thinking of persuading the book publisher's association of my country to back me. The members of the International Board for Books for Young People may also be interested. I have connections with both organisations,

Regarding the 64 bit issue, please refer my reply to another member's suggestion.

Thank you for trying to help.:)

from what I understand, the Affinity range of software was born because Serif wanted to start over with modern 64-bit applications, leaving all the old baggage behind. I don't believe they could/would want to invest engineering time into creating a 32-bit version (literaly going back in time...). Another thing to keep in mind with 32-bit systems is RAM - a typical 32-bit system supports 4GB of which probably 3,5 (max) are usable. If you're lucky, an application on that system is going to have 1,5 GB available for use. Now immagine you start using an application like Publisher...that system would probably be using the page file quite heavily and the whole system would come to a crawl. No need to go back to this in 2018/2019.

That Creative suite CS5 was released in 2010 and might still run on Windows 7 which become unsupported in early 2020. I understand that you would like to be able to use a modern application on your system but I don't see any changes that anybody could make a good business case to present to Serif about creating a 32-bit version of their apps.

Just my 2cts...

7 hours ago, Thomas_A said:

from what I understand, the Affinity range of software was born because Serif wanted to start over with modern 64-bit applications, leaving all the old baggage behind. I don't believe they could/would want to invest engineering time into creating a 32-bit version (literaly going back in time...). Another thing to keep in mind with 32-bit systems is RAM - a typical 32-bit system supports 4GB of which probably 3,5 (max) are usable. If you're lucky, an application on that system is going to have 1,5 GB available for use. Now immagine you start using an application like Publisher...that system would probably be using the page file quite heavily and the whole system would come to a crawl. No need to go back to this in 2018/2019.

That Creative suite CS5 was released in 2010 and might still run on Windows 7 which become unsupported in early 2020. I understand that you would like to be able to use a modern application on your system but I don't see any changes that anybody could make a good business case to present to Serif about creating a 32-bit version of their apps.

Just my 2cts...

Thank you for sharing your thoughts which I am sure are more valuable than 2 cents.;)

What I want and probably many others as well, is a software which is lean. My main interest in a product similar to InDesign is the ability to automate the pagination. Scribus is not an option as I find it too geeky-looking.

Windows 7 not being supported after 2020 is not a huge concern for me. If more people migrate to newer versions of Windows, cyber crime will target them. They won't bother with the eccentric folk who refuse to switch their OS.

When I bought Illustrator, my work was solely related to graphic design. Now I am involved almost exclusively in writing and designing books. The price of Illustrator CS5 was equal to the monthly salary of a CEO in my country. Indeed, many were surprised that I had actually bought the software. This is why I say that there is scope for a 32 bit version in developing countries. Demographically, there are more potential customers in Asia and Africa than in the west. Perhaps one of those Indian expats out there in Silicone Valley may realise it...

If you have a Window 7 PRO 32bit product key, you should be able to download the ISO image for the 64bit version, and install that version instead at no extra cost. Problem solved: Affinity will run. Your 32bit Illustrator will run as well.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/software-download/windows7

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_install/is-a-windows-7-license-key-valid-for-both-32-bit/70d546cd-b6e3-44d8-a6c8-fd7feb7d1915

1 hour ago, Medical Officer Bones said:

If you have a Window 7 PRO 32bit product key, you should be able to download the ISO image for the 64bit version, and install that version instead at no extra cost. Problem solved: Affinity will run. Your 32bit Illustrator will run as well.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/software-download/windows7

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_install/is-a-windows-7-license-key-valid-for-both-32-bit/70d546cd-b6e3-44d8-a6c8-fd7feb7d1915

Thank you for the information. It is very kind of you to go to all that trouble for a stranger.:) Unfortunately, it does not work with OEM licences. I double-checked with my local Microsoft rep. Incidentally, his firm also sells Adobe products.

7 hours ago, DHL said:

Thank you for the information. It is very kind of you to go to all that trouble for a stranger.:) Unfortunately, it does not work with OEM licences. I double-checked with my local Microsoft rep. Incidentally, his firm also sells Adobe products.

Did you try to enter your serial number on the page I linked to? If the number includes the letter OEM it will not work, but otherwise it should.

I have read several accounts of users with OEM 32bit WIN7 machines succesfully installing the 64bit version with their OEM serial, though. You will need a genuine Windows 7 pro 64bit ISO image, which can be downloaded with this tool:

https://www.heidoc.net/joomla/technology-science/microsoft/67-microsoft-windows-iso-download-tool

Then choose the correct Windows 7 OEM 64bit version that mirrors your 32bit version, and backup your machine. Clean your hard drive, and reinstall WIndows with this new version and when asked enter your serial number.  It will work, because a product key works for either the 32-bit or 64-bit version. Just make sure to uninstall the 32bit version completely, because you are only allowed to run one version with one product key.

15 hours ago, Medical Officer Bones said:

Did you try to enter your serial number on the page I linked to? If the number includes the letter OEM it will not work, but otherwise it should.

I have read several accounts of users with OEM 32bit WIN7 machines succesfully installing the 64bit version with their OEM serial, though. You will need a genuine Windows 7 pro 64bit ISO image, which can be downloaded with this tool:

https://www.heidoc.net/joomla/technology-science/microsoft/67-microsoft-windows-iso-download-tool

Then choose the correct Windows 7 OEM 64bit version that mirrors your 32bit version, and backup your machine. Clean your hard drive, and reinstall WIndows with this new version and when asked enter your serial number.  It will work, because a product key works for either the 32-bit or 64-bit version. Just make sure to uninstall the 32bit version completely, because you are only allowed to run one version with one product key.

Great news for a change! I was able to download the 64 bit version. Thereafter, I downloaded the ISO Download tool (I have not downloaded the ISO image yet). Both are currently saved in a folder on my PC.

Unfortunately, I will have to postpone installing the 64 bit version due to work. Backing up folders and formatting my PC is not something I can do right now.

However, I will pass on your tips and links to 2 others who can try out the Publisher beta. One of them owns a publishing and printing firm; the other one works for a publisher.

Thank you very much for all your help. It will be appreciated by my friends as well.:D