You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Miter cut an imported image - Affinity Designer 1.6.5.123

Hi,

Please help! I am trying to create a border using a jpg image I imported into Affinity Designer . I need to cut the image at a 45' angle (miter) so that it joins nicely at each corner. I have spent at least 1.5 hours trying to figure things out on my own, then the past two hours on-line trying to find solutions to my problem, but nothing has worked.

For clarity, I have covered each area of the image I want removed in red, in the image I attached.

I am very NEW to this program, and graphic design in general, so would appreciate any help with instructions that are very clear :-)

Thanks for your assistance!

KitchenTool Border.afdesign

Hello Taelor,

i think this is what you were after, but as you can see in the screenshot the images don't match up in the corner.

border.png.4aae78f4786cf06c9139f7c8dff560ed.png

intel core i5,  16GB 128Gb ssd win10 Pro Huion new 1060plus.

philips 272p 2560x1440px on intel HD2500 onboard graphics

Razer Tartarus Chroma

I would forget mitring the corners and create corner squares with maybe a plate and a knife and fork in it like this.

Screen-Shot-2018-12-10-at-09-42-18.png

Another example for how it would work vertically.
Screen-Shot-2018-12-10-at-09-45-40.png

KitchenTool Border Redone.afdesign Saved with history so you can jog back and forth in the history panel. Its the latter part of the history that will help you, it will show how I made the utensils.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

9 hours ago, JimmyJack said:

@Taelor It will work if the miter corners are actually 45º ;).
Your (red) shape isn't an isosceles right triangle...

517069025_ScreenShot2018-12-11at5_24_59PM.thumb.png.a24581946765dae45b08cb9b00189491.png

Mines prettier :P

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Hi firstdefence, what I was really hoping for was an explanation on how to do a miter cut, even if it did not work with this particular design. Thank you thought, for your suggestion re: some other object in the corner as opposed to mitering. I may use that idea on another project :-)

JimmyJack, your design is what I was hoping to do. (I realize my red triangles were not perfect, but only there to assist with providing clarity for what I was hoping to achieve).

The thing is, as I stated in my first posting, I am very new, and was hoping for clear, direct instructions on how to do the miter cut, which I was also hoping would allow me to transfer that knowledge to other types of cuts. The only tool that I found to remove material was the Selection Brush Tool in Pixel Persona, but that tool does not allow for the creation of clean lines.  Would you mind very much providing step-by-step instructions on how you achieved the miter cut? I really appreciate you taking the time to assist me!!

Cheers!

Hi all,

I am still seeking help in learning the steps to take when I need to do a 45' cut (miter) on an imported image. Any and all suggestions welcomed, as well as any suggestions on cutting in general.

Also, I am surprised that here is no knife tool like I used in DrawPlus X5-8. Any one know when it will be added? Super confused as to why there was not one included from the beginning...

Thanks for your assistance :-)

Well my suggestion would be to not use those bitmaps at all in a vector tool like AD, things will look much better when you use kitchen tool vectors here for creating a kitchen tool border.

Kitchen-tools-vector-illustration-set.jpg.284f1c2c66e1411a6d21ede3da401e1e.jpg

Here are some vectors you can reuse instead (copy/paste them into a new document and arrange, size, rotate etc. them to your likes) ...

BTW, the net is full of such vectors sets (free and commercial) just do a search and make sure they are reusable vectors instead of bitmap drawings.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

See also here Kitchen Utensil Silhouette ideas etc. - However when you download such vector sets from the net make sure they are in some by AD supported import format (SVG, EPS without embbed Ai, PDF). If you type into the Google search "vector kitchen tool border" or "vector kitchen tool frame" you will get hundreds of example links to inspect. - Good luck!

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

19 hours ago, Taelor said:

Hi all,

I am still seeking help in learning the steps to take when I need to do a 45' cut (miter) on an imported image. Any and all suggestions welcomed, as well as any suggestions on cutting in general.

Also, I am surprised that here is no knife tool like I used in DrawPlus X5-8. Any one know when it will be added? Super confused as to why there was not one included from the beginning...

Thanks for your assistance :-)

This video may also help..... (nothing in my example was "cut", just clipped with a shape like @>|< showed)
Also, to get the imagery (raster or not) to line up in the corner the image or group of objects needs to be flipped after it's rotated.