malarkyarts

[Cannot Reproduce] A few horrible bugs

Hi all

I'm not sure if I should make this one post or several. I've played with AD on my Surface pro 2017 i7 8GB many times and done a few simple jobs on it. However, now I have some serious work on it I'm finding it incredibly frustrating. My bugs are as follows.

- Every few uses it completely freezes my machine, forcing me to restart using power button. This is often resizing items. The last time it happened I was transforming a simple ellipse. 

- If I swap between pen and mouse then the mouse will often stop working as an input device. For example if I draw with the stylus in either persona then draw with the mouse, then the mouse will not be able to click any menu item and the cursor icon will still stuck on the pen tool (eg showing a little circle)

- If I use my stylus to resize any selection box then it will always 'drop' the handles unless I hold the stylus still for a second when first selecting.

- the stylus also seems sticky in other cases and will continue moving handles after it has been removed from the screen.

- If I drag the window to a second monitor then the size of the image will jump around constantly and will default to around 50% of the actual chosen zoom level

- Regular slow downs and choppy movements when performing simple transformations in either persona.

Perhaps some of these issues have workarounds, but I haven't found any through my searches of the forum.

Hope you guys can help!

Hi @malarkyarts,

21 hours ago, malarkyarts said:

Every few uses it completely freezes my machine, forcing me to restart using power button. This is often resizing items. The last time it happened I was transforming a simple ellipse. 

Is this document specific? Or a general issue?

- If I swap between pen and mouse then the mouse will often stop working as an input device. For example if I draw with the stylus in either persona then draw with the mouse, then the mouse will not be able to click any menu item and the cursor icon will still stuck on the pen tool (eg showing a little circle)

When this happens, can you use your mouse on the taskbar to open a new window or another app?

If I use my stylus to resize any selection box then it will always 'drop' the handles unless I hold the stylus still for a second when first selecting.

What do you mean by drop? Resize? 

the stylus also seems sticky in other cases and will continue moving handles after it has been removed from the screen.

This seems to be more of a driver issue/pen detection issue. We do not do anything specific for tablets, but rely on the installed drivers. 

- Regular slow downs and choppy movements when performing simple transformations in either persona.

What Windows version have you got? What are your PC specs? Is this document specific?

Thanks,

Gabe. 

1 hour ago, GabrielM said:

Hi @malarkyarts,

Is this document specific? Or a general issue?

General issue

When this happens, can you use your mouse on the taskbar to open a new window or another app?

All other windows/functions are normal

What do you mean by drop? Resize? 

'Drop' as in as I'm dragging the handles it stops recognising that the stylus is in contact with them and drops them half way through the intended manoeuvre. This only happens moving or resizing, never when using the stylus to draw

This seems to be more of a driver issue/pen detection issue. We do not do anything specific for tablets, but rely on the installed drivers. 

Really? It's only AD that this happens with though - does that make a difference?

What Windows version have you got? What are your PC specs? Is this document specific?

Not all documents, but regularly when using combined pixel and vector layouts.

OS Name    Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
Version    10.0.17134 Build 17134
System Model    Surface Pro
System Type    x64-based PC
System SKU    Surface_Pro_1796
Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7660U CPU @ 2.50GHz, 2496 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date    Microsoft Corporation 234.2291.769, 19/07/2018

Thanks,

Gabe. 

Thanks

Andy

Let's try this:

Navigate to %AppData%\Affinity\Designer\ and rename 1.0 to 1.0.backup. Start Affinity again and see how it goes. 

As for the drivers, it might be just the drivers, even if it's just us. We only rely on the already installed drivers. So technically, all the mapping / pressure / pen recognition is done through the drivers. 

Thanks,

Gabe. 

Thanks Gabe

So far so good, after some quick tests. Time will tell I think, but it looks promising.

However I've lost all my Daub Essentials brushes/papers (freebies) and don't seem to have them backed up and the original download link I received no longer works. Any chance I can get them back?

Cheers

Andy