mathew

Incomplete loading of EPS and SVG files

I've got some EPS clip art which I attempted to load and use, but Affinity Designer seems to stop loading part way through.

I tried loading the EPS into Preview, which worked. I then saved it out to PDF, and converted the PDF to SVG. The resulting SVG file also fails to load into Affinity Designer. However, the SVG will load into the free app Boxy SVG, and I don't see anything untoward about the code.

Attaching both files.

Patterns.eps

Patterns.svg

Hi @mathew,

Welcome to the forums. 

One is a bug, one is not. 

The SVG file is a bug that we are already aware of. Basically, it cannot read the xlink:href code properly and it fails to open it. 

The EPS file has got an embedded .AI file, which we cannot read. We can only read AI files with PDF stream. 

image.pngThanks,

Gabe. 

Would it be possible to make it ignore the embedded AI file and parse the rest of the EPS, rather than bailing out half way through? Or is it that somehow half the details in the file were saved as EPS and half only in the embedded AI?

(If the latter, what are Adobe doing?!)

That is the current behaviour. It will only load what it can and try to rasterise any unsupported formats. Not really sure what the problem is on your end, but the EPS loads ( incorrectly however due to the embedded AI). 

image.png

I guess I'm confused why half of the top left square loads, for example. Are you saying that the top half of that square was saved as EPS, but the bottom half was put in an embedded AI?

I think you're missing the point. The point is, Affinity Designer isn't reading the EPS parts of the file properly.

To prove this, I've edited the file and removed the entire embedded comment-delimited AI9_PrivateData chunk, the preview bitmaps from the end of the file, and the IFF headers. The result is a plain text PostScript file with EPS headers, and with no bitmaps or embedded Illustrator data. I'm attaching it as patterns2.eps.

This pure PostScript EPS file loads correctly in Preview, but does not load fully in Designer. As with the original file, the top six pages get incompletely rendered in Designer.

Patterns2.eps

image.png

I've had a further look and the file loads, but some layers are in the wrong order.

Try to select all the "background" layers and move them all the back of the stack.I have logged this with our developers for further investigations. Try to select all the "Backgound" images and move them to the back of the stack image.png . This should fix the issue for the meantime. 

Oh! I should have thought to try that. I came up with a more complicated answer involving chopping out the individual pages with Ghostscript -- its individual output files don't seem to have the object ordering problem.