You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello hellobill,

At the moment AD does not know how to do this but the function is on the roadmap and will be implemented in a future update. For the moment you have to go through Affinity Photo to do it.

this feature has been at the top of the road map for well over a year now (maybe more)

That feature has been on the roadmap — I’m not convinced that top, middle or bottom makes any difference! — for at least three years. :(

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Guest said

We should mention that this feature has been at the top of the road map for well over a year now (maybe more), and that the AP method requires you to first rasterise the type which means it is no longer editable.

Hello Simon Degay,

You are right and it is to be hoped that once the function is added to AD, the text will remain editable after its implementation, which is the minimum for a vector program.

Thanks everybody. Very helpful.

I love Affinity Designer. Might need to bone up on Illustrator to accomplish a few things, for some tasks for a while at least till AD comes closer to feature parity. I really don't love Illustrator---and don't know it well---had hoped to avoid that learning curve lol:)

I am a total AD supporter/user, long term, I see AD as my future everything.

Cheers,
-billb

6 hours ago, αℓƒяє∂ said:

That feature has been on the roadmap — I’m not convinced that top, middle or bottom makes any difference! — for at least three years. :(

True, but we don't know any of the details of what 3 years ago they planned for that feature to support, or how that might have changed to support whatever they are planning for it now.

I can imagine how this might have become a moving target, like starting off as something like a simple 'all or nothing' envelop warp, & then evolving into something that could be applied selectively within a text block on a per character or kerning pair or some other possibly hierarchical basis. Meanwhile, sometime during that period they started changing the code base to support new 1.7 features, & that could have prompted a few 'back to the drawing board' moments.

I just hope that whatever it ends up being, it is worth the wait.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

The 1.7 beta does show some nice improvements. Still not a mesh warp, but some things are possible w. a bit of work.

TitleText.jpg.1b372c5d2981352df6c5db8d6e12b18d.jpg

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

Something I always can do easily on Win with Xara (Magix Graphic Designer) or even the pretty old and outdated MS Expression Design.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

52 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

Something I always can do easily on Win with Xara (Magix Graphic Designer) or even the pretty old and outdated MS Expression Design.

For those who may be interested, MS Expression Design 4 is now free.

Text distortion can also be done with DrawPlus by Serif.

2 hours ago, toltec said:

At our age, I just hope we live long enough to see it :P

I hope for that, too ... & that I still remember why I wanted it. :S

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7