You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Let's see how I can describe this.  A few times a day in 1.7.0.3 when I'm in the Move tool I select a few layers (by cmd clicking in the layer panel), the display will be showing in the measurement screen.  Like I'm holding cmd down, but I'm not.  No bounding box.  If I move the cursor into where the bounding box would be I just see the selection blue lines like below.

984668054_ScreenShot2018-12-08at4_02_00PM.png.97f88deb36fdfafbd4e79487653fc918.png1860280323_ScreenShot2018-12-08at7_38_01AM.png.30612cbf73bb0e1d4b252c7c895870e0.png

Sorry the cursor didn't show in my capture.  It was in the middle of the lower circle.  Only the 3 circles were selected.  If I then left click in this area the multiple layer selection will change to only have one layer selected.  I can't move the layers, just change selection.  There is no lock applied to these layers, or any in this area of the image.  To get proper operation back I just have to play around I haven't found any one thing that releases this action, or causes this action.

I believe I have seen this when only one layer was selected also.

When using 1.6.1 I've never had this problem.  So I don't think it's a sticky cmd key on the keyboard.

Has anyone else seen this issue?  Anyone have an idea what is causing it?

iMac (27-inch, Late 2009) with macOS Sierra

I tried to replicate this yesterday and came up blank. When I have had odd difficulties of this sort I find a restart of the Mac makes a big difference. From your signature I see you are using a 9 year old machine with the same OS as I have so give it a try or even 'zap the pram' as we used to do back in the day (P + R + option + command held down at restart until you hear the start-up tone twice).

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Bruce, thanks for trying.  Please give this a try if you would.  Attached is a file Test 7.  Test 7.afdesign  Open it up in AD 1.7...  

When you open it there will be a layer selected, zoom in so the selected rectangle shows well but doesn't fill the screen.

Expand the group Engine.

Click on the layer "This one" press cmd and click on the layer "and this one".  So both are selected.  Then with cmd still held down move the cursor over into the drawing (without pressing any mouse buttons).  Release the cmd key.  Do you see a bounding box?

I see: 704695392_ScreenShot2018-12-09at12_19_44PM.png.83a4d97b6e9b61e8ce73aef41ac29c9c.png

If you get the above try moving the cursor around on the screen.  For me it acts just like cmd is still down. 

Now try to drag the two items by left clicking on one and drag it.  For me the one I try to drag moves and the other gets unselected.

FYI I find this works with either the Move or Node tool.

Test 7 was created in 1.7.0.3 and as I worked on it this problem got worse and worse.  I did try doing a reset, but the progression continues getting worse.  When I figured out a method to reproduce the problem I made a test copy and just started stripping off layers.  This had been several meg.  When I got down to Test 7 I figured I'd have someone else try it.  I think there are other ways to trigger this but the above seems to work every time for me.

I appreciate it.  Mike

4 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

I tried to replicate this yesterday and came up blank. When I have had odd difficulties of this sort I find a restart of the Mac makes a big difference. From your signature I see you are using a 9 year old machine with the same OS as I have so give it a try or even 'zap the pram' as we used to do back in the day (P + R + option + command held down at restart until you hear the start-up tone twice).

43 minutes ago, Gear maker said:

FYI I find this works with either the Move or Node tool.

Test 7 was created in 1.7.0.3 and as I worked on it this problem got worse and worse.  I did try doing a reset, but the progression continues getting worse.  When I figured out a method to reproduce the problem I made a test copy and just started stripping off layers.  This had been several meg.  When I got down to Test 7 I figured I'd have someone else try it.  I think there are other ways to trigger this but the above seems to work every time for me.

Hi,

I am not seeing what you get. As soon as I release the command key the regular bounding box returns. The other thing is that as soon as I press the command key I get the values for the distance on the thin blue lines.

1159798181_withcomand.jpg.79e90faa28a0d264660d1d47e738edb5.jpg

I also have shots of my Preferences

performance.jpeg.eb53063b395bf504776903d81a824dd9.jpeg

199362545_UserInterface.jpeg.3886a7e9c2d0999ed8ae7a506098d211.jpeg

It may be a different setting. I am baffled.

Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

Can you try one more thing?  Try it in Window > Separated mode.

I did a reset then changed a few things and it still did it for me.  Then kept doing resets and made a different change each time.  Turning on Separated mode did it.

29 minutes ago, Gear maker said:

Try it in Window > Separated mode.

As they say on The Good Place "What the Fork!"

In Separated Mode the exact same thing as you described happens. Now you have to decide on better title for this behaviour.

Bruce, thank you.  I was starting to think I was crazy.  Now I've got to get the attention of Affinity Support.  So they can figure out why my file causes it.  Whoa I just created a new drawing and it did it also.  I guess it's not just that file.

Mike

I can reproduce this odd behaviour perfectly. To add an observation, Mike, not even the Escape key works for deselecting when the measurement lines are active, as in your example. So there is some block to keyboard inputs as well. Weird. O.o

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.