You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[No Style] is a style, we need a [None] option

Hi,

Usually when creating Text style, we take part of the text, modify it and create a new style. This one will be based on the previous style (that can be too base on another one, etc.). The annoying part with this is the style will keep setting from parent and grand-parents and other uneeded options.

If I try to set it "Based on: [No style]", it will pollute/destroy my new style and I'll have to input the parameters from scratch depending of what I can remember of my modifications :S (since  [No style] is a style with Arial font and other parameters).

Recourse: trying to setting a "Base" style and using it as "based on", and trying to reapply (again), the modifications I did.

Can we have a Based on: [None] option that will make this new style independent from previous styles, and keeping its attributes?

I also agree. Because [No Style] is actually a complex style, basing anything on it can result in some frustration when creating a new style--a bunch of "gotchas" since the new style's behaviour is not what is expected. [No Style] cannot be changed or deleted, and all base styles begin with [No Style]. Either we need to have an editable [No Style], or a [None] as suggested by Wosven.

• 1 month later...

[No Style] is not a style. [None] would just be a rename of it.

If you use Create Paragraph Style, it will default to using the formatting of the currently selected text. That will include all of the formatting, so it will be setting a lot of things. If you don't want that, you can use Reset formatting in the Create Paragraph Style panel to clear it. Note that it isn't getting that formatting from some other style. It is getting it from what happens to be on the text. There is no way to get text that does not have formatting - it will always have a font, a size etc that are used to draw it.