You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Designer crashing from recovery

I was doing some very time-consuming repetition work for a UI and I was now jumping back and forth between the Draw and Export personas when Designer crashed. I wasn't sure if it had crashed because it just disappeared, when I relaunched the Dock icon started jumping confirming the crashed and Designer asked me if I wanted to open the recovery file. Until then the application crash window from macOS popped up, I ignored it since Affinity D was already open. Opening the recovery file crashed Designer again... and again... and again for the third time, only the second and third times the dialog didn't popped up automatically but until I reopened the file from the recents list.

I'd really love to recover my work, it's a custom automation system UI, but the system interface composer is limited and I have to be careful about everything from up to a hundred versions of the same element to positioning using the whole canvas as guide because it lacks positioning aides except for a very unforgiving non-customizable snappy grid. It is a very powerful system but I guess graphic designers and software designers don't quite mix, well..except for graphic software designers.

I don't remember when it was the last time I saved progress, or if I did at all, I mean, since I opened it this time; I've been working on this file for about 8 months, it's got about 20 artboards.

Could the graphics card factor in? I set it to use only the integrated to keep the computer cooler, maybe my project is too big and needs the beefier card--could that be it? I don't even know what I'm talking about here so that's why I came for help. :/

Thanks!

• Staff

Hi @vitaprimo,

Let me get this right. You worked for 8 months on a file and you have never saved it? 

Can you navigate to this folder and see if you have got anything with the date it crashed? It should be in this format yyyymmddhhmmss? Open Finder > Go > Go to Folder and paste this:

~/Library/Containers/com.seriflabs.affinityphoto/Data/Library/Application Support/autosave

Thanks,

Gabe. 

Thanks and sorry for the delay.

No, I've saved a million times over time the file, only on this last edit I hadn't saved for a really big period, over a day or so. It was really time-consuming and rather disorienting (y'know, when you work in a ton of similar objects but each is different enough to merit its own process and similar enough you just get lost jumping back and forth) and I was hoping to recover it, too bad it's gone.

There's the autosave file in the location you gave me, it's huge, over 400MB whereas the master is 5MB. I renamed it to see my progress before it and it isn't too far behind, renamed it back and opened the master again and it was back on track, crashing the moment I opened it. Is there any way to get stuff from it? Does it support versioning so I could pick maybe the second to last? 

Thanks again!

I was browsing the hidden files on another computer and noticed a different modified time (the file is stored iCloud Drive) and immediately I turned off its networking and duplicated the file; it's just minutes away from autosave's last touch time. I got it back! It had missing some minor Export persona adjustments only and there's the fact that why would it be newer than the one on the computer where the actual work was done but I just figured that's today's [unreliable] Apple. As for my file, I'm completely ecstatic.

Nevertheless thank you so much for your help, it made my day, thanks. :1_grinning: