Jump to content
jc4d

Application closes without warning

Recommended Posts

Hi all,

I'm not sure what I did but I'm unable to use the beta, the app starts fine but at the moment I create a new document or open one the app closes without any warning, just poof.
I'm on Win10, 32GB RAM, Ryzen 2700X and two 1080 GTX with the latest driver.

BTW. The stable release works properly.

Cheers,
Juan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, jc4d said:

Hi all,

I'm not sure what I did but I'm unable to use the beta, the app starts fine but at the moment I create a new document or open one the app closes without any warning, just poof.
I'm on Win10, 32GB RAM, Ryzen 2700X and two 1080 GTX with the latest driver.

BTW. The stable release works properly.

Cheers,
Juan

Can you look in %APPDATA%\Affinity\Photo\1.0 (Beta)\ and upload Log.txt for me? Also, have a look in the CrashReports\reports folder and upload the latest .dmp file from there.

Generally if it crashes when opening a document, it's when we try to initialise Direct3D for the renderer, and a simple uninstall / reinstall of graphics drivers fixes it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Mark Ingram said:

Can you look in %APPDATA%\Affinity\Photo\1.0 (Beta)\ and upload Log.txt for me? Also, have a look in the CrashReports\reports folder and upload the latest .dmp file from there.

Generally if it crashes when opening a document, it's when we try to initialise Direct3D for the renderer, and a simple uninstall / reinstall of graphics drivers fixes it.

Hi Mark,

Here are the files. Before trying again the app I did install the latest driver and gave me the same result.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, jc4d said:

Hi Mark,

Here are the files. Before trying again the app I did install the latest driver and gave me the same result.

8d680e9c-9286-4839-a95b-e243ef2a4af9.dmp

Log.txt

Interesting - neither the log nor the crash are providing any useful information. I have seen similar crashes in the crash report database though - so I would like to get to the bottom of this.

Two things to try

1) Disable "F-Secure (Spam Control)", as I can see they have injected themselves into the Photo application

2) Unplug your Wacom device

If your Wacom device is unplugged already, can you tell me the driver version number?

If you get any crashes after these steps, please re-upload them here again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Mark Ingram said:

Interesting - neither the log nor the crash are providing any useful information. I have seen similar crashes in the crash report database though - so I would like to get to the bottom of this.

Two things to try

1) Disable "F-Secure (Spam Control)", as I can see they have injected themselves into the Photo application

2) Unplug your Wacom device

If your Wacom device is unplugged already, can you tell me the driver version number?

If you get any crashes after these steps, please re-upload them here again.

Sadly I can't disable F-secure since it is managed by the organization. But Affinity beta is in the whitelist.
I did unplugged the wacom and I get the same result. Wacom driver is 6.3.31-4

 

 

 

Edited by jc4d

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks @jc4d, we'll have to try F-Secure here to see if it has any issues then. I don't think the whitelist is working correctly, because it has still injected fsscoepl_x64.dll into our process. It may well be doing nothing, but unfortunately I have no way of telling.

Can you try the following for me, press Win+R to bring up the Run dialog. Type cmd, then hit Enter. Then paste the following line in, and hit Enter.

C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\ngen.exe display "C:\Program Files\Affinity\Photo Customer Beta\Photo.exe"

Can you copy and paste the result to here please?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No problem, I'm glad to help.

Here is the result:

c:\>C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\ngen.exe display "C:\Program Files\Affinity\Photo Customer Beta\Photo.exe"
Microsoft (R) CLR Native Image Generator - Version 4.7.3056.0
Copyright (c) Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.
Error: The specified assembly is not installed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Mark Ingram said:

C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\ngen.exe display "C:\Program Files\Affinity\Photo Customer Beta\Photo.exe"

Perhaps: C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\ngen.exe display "C:\Program Files\Affinity\Affinity Photo Customer Beta\Photo.exe"


-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1809, 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz, GeForce GTX 970
Affinity Photo 1.6.5.123 and 1.7.0.333 Beta       / Affinity Designer 1.6..5.123 and 1.7.0.333 Beta    / Affinity Publisher 1.7.0.337 Beta

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, walt.farrell said:

Perhaps: C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\ngen.exe display "C:\Program Files\Affinity\Affinity Photo Customer Beta\Photo.exe"

It depends where @jc4d has it installed, for me, it was in the location I specified.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Mark Ingram said:

It depends where @jc4d has it installed, for me, it was in the location I specified.

Fair enough :)

For me it's on "E:" not "C:", but I noticed that by default the directory name includes that extra "Affinity".


-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1809, 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz, GeForce GTX 970
Affinity Photo 1.6.5.123 and 1.7.0.333 Beta       / Affinity Designer 1.6..5.123 and 1.7.0.333 Beta    / Affinity Publisher 1.7.0.337 Beta

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good news (somehow) @Mark Ingram; the IT guy uninstalled F-secure just to be sure if this is the culcript and after that the app kept closing without warning.

But... now I found the trigger to this problem. I had docked the 32-bit Preview panel, and if I remove this panel from being enable and/or docked I can open or use the app without any problem.

Please let me know if you can confirm this. :)

Cheers,
Juan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, jc4d said:

Good news (somehow) @Mark Ingram; the IT guy uninstalled F-secure just to be sure if this is the culcript and after that the app kept closing without warning.

But... now I found the trigger to this problem. I had docked the 32-bit Preview panel, and if I remove this panel from being enable and/or docked I can open or use the app without any problem.

Please let me know if you can confirm this. :)

Cheers,
Juan

So, if you remove the panel, you can re-enable F-Secure and then everything works as expected? Great news you've got it running again, and thanks to the IT person for testing it with us :-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Mark Ingram said:

So, if you remove the panel, you can re-enable F-Secure and then everything works as expected? Great news you've got it running again, and thanks to the IT person for testing it with us :-)

Exactly, F-secure has nothing to do with this problem, only the 32-Preview panel is the guilty one.
No problem, glad to help. :)

Cheers,
Juan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, jc4d said:

Exactly, F-secure has nothing to do with this problem, only the 32-Preview panel is the guilty one.
No problem, glad to help. :)

Cheers,
Juan

Sounds like an interaction between the 32-bit Preview panel and F-Secure then? Or are you saying that the app crashes whenever the 32-bit preview panel is open, even if F-Secure is uninstalled?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Mark Ingram said:

... are you saying that the app crashes whenever the 32-bit preview panel is open, even if F-Secure is uninstalled?

Yes, the app crashes with f-secure installed or uninstalled, so the reason for this crash is not related with F-secure at all.

When f-secure was uninstalled I kept having crashes, so I decided to run the app default workspace and to do this I closed the 32-bit panel open which was the only panel open besides the default ones, and by closing this 32-Preview panel the crash were gone.
After seeing this, the IT guy reinstalled f-secure and restarted the computer. I did open again the app that has the 32-bit Preview panel close and I managed to use the app. Afterwards I decided to re open the 32-Preview panel and relaunch the app... I got the crash.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×