You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Not only this but it's well known that Mac users are more willing to pay for software meanwhile Windows users will try to pirate it first. (kind of the iOS vs Android story).

Nice for Dams to admit that he is willing to partake in criminal activity, opting for the Pirated software rather than buy the real thing. (And tarring most other PC users as well). Not something you want to openly admit for reasons, ethical, moral , economical, and many other reasons. With that statement Mac software writers won't write any software for PCs as they wouldn't make any money what with most PC users Pirating their software.

I am looking forward to using Affinity Designer on Windows, it cannot come soon enough. I have tried Affinity on a Mac and it feels way more intuitive and artistic than its obvious competitor, Illustrator. Honestly I've seen how quick I can get things done in Affinity, it's almost as quick and friendly as my mark I creativity tool, pencil and paper.  ;)

The productivity gains Affinity would give me at certain stages of creation will make it an essential part of my toolkit when it becomes available on Windows. Unfortunately the excessive TCO of Apple hardware (compared to the commodity X86 boxes I can maintain & build myself and upgrade incrementally) means your great software is off the table for the time being. :(

Anyway, as soon as there's Windows Beta version, sign me up!

As a side note: It will be interesting to come full circle back to Serif. I started out in this hobby 20 years ago using the Serif Pageplus logo tool to make designs for T-Shirts. :D

• 2 weeks later...

windows version = more issues for Mac users, simple

All you windows users bought non-Macs for what reason? More software choices maybe? It seems there are a lot more alternatives to AI available for windows than Macs. In fact, number of useful alternatives for Macs, besides Affinity,  zero. Finally, Affinity has come along to address this hole and obviate the need for an AI "subscription". As soon as Affinity attempts addressing both platforms, up go the issues and down goes the development pace.

I saw this happen with Canvas. It was a great program, rife with features and ahead of its time in many respects. And it was Mac only. Then it was Mac and Windows. Then it was only Windows. Yep. More cash. [in fact the introduction of Adobe subscriptions ushered an attempt to resurrect the Mac version, with mediocre results, for yet more cash.]

Thank you Affinity for producing a top notch, Mac optimized product.

• 2 weeks later...

I got on a sign cutting forum the other day were people were talking about Windows 7, Adobe, and their cutting software.  Most everyone agreed that they did not want to upgrade to Windows 10 because they are finally happy with how seldom there software crashes under Windows 7.  There computers were only crashing a few times a day now.  LOL.    I can't believe anyone would be happy with that.   I for one am extremely happy that Affinity Designer is Mac only. 

• 4 weeks later...

Yes, please release a Windows (and Linux) version of Affinity Photo.

For Max users, there are now a lot of great graphic programs like Affinity Photo, Photoshop, Pixelmator and Sketch.

Windows users have to use Photoshop. There is no real alternative. (In my eyes Gimp cannot be used for professional work)

And Linux user ... Even if Linux user want to buy professional graphic software, they are not able to.

I would buy an Affinity Photo Windows (or Linux) Version for some hundret euros. The main thing is that I do not rely on Adobe products.

Just came across this thread and thought I'd share my thoughts. Mac vs PC doesn't really apply here so let's look beyond it for a minute. Basically, I think we all can agree that there are more software packages to meet user needs on the PC side. Adobe saw the number of PC's and expanded their offerings to the PC back in the 90's and bought up competition so they could become the 800 pound gorilla. Now along comes Serif and spends 5 years researching and developing 3 apps for graphic professionals. Why on Mac? If you were going to take on the 800 pound gorilla doesn't it make more sense to do it on a platform with fewer competing solutions and very dedicated graphics users (no disrespect to PC professionals) which gives you a better chance of success? If they can build up a reputation on the Mac and bruise the gorilla then would seem the logical time to kick the gorilla's backside on the PC side.

I'm rooting for them. Not because I hate Adobe (I subscribe reluctantly [not about to cut my nose to spite my face] and spoke directly to someone at Adobe at the time about my feelings on the matter). It's partly because I think Adobe needs some competition to slap them upside the head so they stop bloating their software with features inspired by marketing (anyone tried facial recognition in Lightroom?). I'd rather have good tools and learn the techniques using those tools than have the company add another auto something or other to do it for me (that's what actions are for). Mostly it's because these developers seem dedicated to making software that suits us, is developed with forethought and quality, works the best way they can make it work and like the original idea behind the Mac they Think Different.

Continue on...

Adobe will be happy to hear that. Am just now signing up for Creative Cloud. Cheers!

I agree that Adobe are happy. I guess the installed base of Mac computers are in a ration of 1/10 to the installed base of Windows computers. But besides that, I will NEVER sign up for Adobe Cash Cow. Once in the trap it's a life long subscription for my own work as I can't get full access to my own work without the programmes. And Adobe will soon update the LR database to make it impossible to roll back to a purchased SW version. They are cleverly protecting ther monopolistsic position at Adobe.

If you want the benefits that a Bugatti has to offer, you don't buy a Ford Fusion and get mad that Bugatti doesn't make an engine for your Ford.

Keep up the great work Serif and if you as a user really want the benefits of the Affinity product line, get a Mac and be happy. 

Affinity Designer=Ford Mustang

DrawPlus=Ford Focus Cosworth

I got a Mac and got happy; the other six dwarves were out of stock :P

MacBook pro, 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB, OS X 10.11.6

http://www.pinterest.com/peter2111

• 1 month later...

Just ran across this, had a funny little anecdote to add in.

Take all the negative comments about Affinitys decision to be Mac only, add them together, now multiply them by 2... And this is how much I have trolled Corel to release Draw for Mac.

So, irate windows users: I feel your pain...

Is what it is. And at least us Mac users finally have a good vector app that's not Adobe! And windows users do too with Corel, so appreciate what you have.

Like they say, the grass isn't always greener... Unless your leaving the Adobe desert.

Art director by day, illustrator by night: Check Out My Shutterstock Gallery

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all. I have tried Affinity on my work where the other colleague has Mac. I must say it is great alternative for Photoshop. One thing makes me sad, and that is Affinity will not develop Windows version of this software.

I just must say this: Affinity looses. Why? Windows user will never buy Mac because of Affinity, but will buy Affinity because of Photoshop. Think about that.

Regards, Alex

p.s. And, in terms of numbers of windows vs mac users, must say this: In my company, there are seven PCs and one Mac. In other printing/web development/design companies I know and I worked/have been, there is one, or none Macs. At home situation is even more on Windows side, I don't even know someone (in my life) using Mac at home. Usualy Apple product at home is iPhone (a lot of my friends have iPhone) or iPad, but it is never Mac. The user that said 90% in world of desktops is Windows, is totally right.

Both platforms have great alternatives for Adobe software. Xara Designer and CorelDraw are brilliant Illustrator replacements on the Windows side, while Mac users now have Affinity Designer.

For Premiere one only has to download the free version of Davinci Resolve, and BlackMagic released the first Mac version of Fusion (which is a free download as well for any output up to 4K).

For a Photoshop alternative which offers in-depth image editing features which surpasses even Photoshop in cases, Photoline is available for both Windows and Mac: full 32 bit per channel, a layer system that beats the pants out of Photoshop, and a full inexpensive license, just like Affinity Photo. If you need a cross-platform solution (which can be installed on a USB key as well) that's your answer.

If digital painting is part of your work, Krita is hard to beat, and leaves Photoshop behind in its dust.

In short, many options out there for both Windows and Mac users who dislike Adobe's Digital Serfdom. Although I admit that it would be nice if Affinity would be made available for Windows as well - the more choice we have, the better.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there, I am a potential customer on windows platform.

I just want to share an opinion, I am reading the comments from Serif in this thread. They are telling us that Serif already has a product line for Windows.

If nobody mentioned it , I will. Sorry but your PLUS line of products are way behind what you offer with Affinity.   
As long as you have Affinity in your arsenal, it will feel like you are holding back the good stuff and noone will buy Plus, while knowing they are coming from the same company.
Buying an inferior product just because we are on windows would make us feel bad as customers you know?

If you are not going to launch affinity for windows, I'd like to ask if PLUS is to have the exact same features as Affinity, anytime soon ?

Final word: I dont care if you name it affinity or plus, if you can release a software that can do these: 

on windows, I am an instant customer.
And I can say this confidently. I am so not alone. 

• Staff

Hi romdeu,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Serif's Plus line of products and Affinity software are not directly comparable. While the first is directed to consumer/enthusiasts/prosumer level users, Affinity's products are directed to prosumer/professionals. Their codebase is also totally different. Currently we are focused on building the suite for Macintosh but we aren't excluding other platforms. Please check our FAQ for more information.

• 2 weeks later...

This way (FAQ) will loose you alot of potential customers. 

I remember when it started I would have bought a OnePlus (Smartphone). But when they didnt made it available for preorder like every other phone... but instead did promotion campaigns where you had a chance to win a limited number of tickets to be allowed to buy one etc.

And once i realized i will not be getting it any time soon I sad to my self screw that.

Same with you. You manage to create quite a buzz in the photo community. And now everyone on win (and yes prosumers/proffesionals as well) who comes or came to your site see:

1.) Only "exclusively for MAC" and

2.) only if they are really interested and dig deeper find an faq entry saying: you have to wait at the very least a year and the it may or may not happen.

How  many, do you thing, will then say: Screw that. 

And do you honestly think that even if the photography blogs/sites/magazines etc. will run an article saying: "Ohh Affinity finaly got a windows version" that you will rekindle the buzz you made with the beta??

From a business point of few i really do not understand the strategy. Isnt it always better to first widen your userbase and take advantage of a good media coverage and then add additional programs to the suite? 

In anycase, can only speak for me... I kept checking back here since the beata first made the rounds. But when you have been checking of alot of month now, and nothing changes (besides the fact that it first read as though you will make a windows version as soon as the mac version was final; whereas now you put it of even further by saying you will develop a whole other app before even thinking about it) ... I am almost at the point of being fed up. Not completely yet... but i certainly wont be able to stay interrested for a year or more....

In anycase... if you got enough money and dont want mine... sure wth. but dont say you havent had a clue.

And BTW. while its true that prosumers/professional tend to go with mac.... i think you should check your study (or source their of) again! (Esp. prosumers).

Cheers.

- that Affinity might clash with their existing ...PLUS product line on Windows, yes I do agree with that: as a Plus fan..the Plus range has the beautiful legacy and extensive tool range and is now a full fledged teen. :)  :)  :)

Whereas Affinity has a brand new fresh out of the box build and is still teething. This tool box will grow with time...

MacBook pro, 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB, OS X 10.11.6

http://www.pinterest.com/peter2111

• 2 months later...

Here's my two ha'porth.

Serif had developed a reputation for creating some terrific and comparatively low-cost workhorse programs for Windows, and made money along the way—no easy task in the constantly shifting world of software development and user desires. When I heard that they were developing Mac-only programs that appeared to target the core of Adobe's business stream, I was intrigued: this was a very bold move for a small software house.

Although I had limited experience—or need—of using Illustrator, I nonetheless downloaded the public beta of Designer and played with it. I was deeply impressed with the attention to detail, and thus when the public beta of Photo was released I eagerly downloaded it. I've been into photography for over 50 years, and I immediately fell in love with Photo. I both admire and despise PS: PS does some exceptionally clever things but I find the interface clunky and unintuitive (YMMV). Photo, whilst the first version was obviously feature-incomplete, was clearly drawing a line in the sand. The more I played with the beta, the more I came back to the word "elegant".

Adobe are a $47 billion company, and yet here is a tiny company based in Nottingham that has aimed an arrow straight at Adobe's jugular—truly a David and Goliath situation. And so, gentle reader, we come to the crux: whatever you might think of Apple, they have always been about exquisite attention to detail. Serif have made a bold business decision to deliver a suite of programs that plays to that mantra. The fact that they've been able to do so with a tiny fraction of the budget heavyweights like Adobe can muster—and with that same apparent philosophic attention to detail—is astonishing.

So is a Windows version of the Affinity suite technically feasible? Judging by previous commentary, yes. Whether it is a sound business decision can only be determined by the good folks at Serif. It is perhaps ironic that were a Windows version to be developed, it would only come off the back off the work done on the Mac version. I would also argue that Windows users deserve the Affinity suite: I frankly care not about the platform you use, but I do like to see the best tools placed in the hands of as many users as possible.

May I take this opportunity of wishing all the staff and developers at Serif, and everyone here on the forums, a most splendid New Year.

• 2 months later...

Yes there is Affinity for Windows, after a fashion...

Having seen the opening salvos of the tedious Windows vs Mac debate I can't be arsed to read all the posts so someone may have mentioned Serif Draw Plus way back down the thread, but if they haven't...

Draw Plus is a very accomplished consumer vector drawing package for Windows. It has shortcomings and probably won't pass muster with pro designers who spend thousands on Adobe products. It has the look and feel of Affinity (which I am sure was based on it) and has many more features. Also it's cheap, comes with printed reference books AND there is a helpline based in Nottingham staffed by people who know what they are talking about. You can get a full feature previous version for a few quid and test it yourself and decide if you want to upgrade to the latest version.

Oh, and there seems to be a French version of Affinity form Windows...

https://affinity.serif.com/fr/windows/

Bon chance

Better Than Nothing - Just