Hi All

Newbie question.

I have a jpg with some pictures and text on it.  I want to delete some of the existing text and replace it with my own text.  I still want to keep the same back round color. I do realize that I will have to save the image again under a new name and possibly export it. What tool must I use to do this? 

Thanks

If it is a JPEG file, there is no text as such -- it is just a raster image with a pixel pattern, part of which looks like text. So minimally, you will have to paint out the area with those pixels, or use the Inpainting or other retouching tools to make that area blend into the background if it is not a solid color.

Then you can use the Artistic or Frame Text tools to add your own text.

Affinity Photo 1.6.7 & Affinity Designer 1.6.1; macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 1.6.9.81 & Affinity Designer 1.6..2.24 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iOS 12.0

10 minutes ago, Fletch said:

Is there an eraser tool in Designer?

Yes, in the Pixel Persona.

Affinity Photo 1.6.7 & Affinity Designer 1.6.1; macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 1.6.9.81 & Affinity Designer 1.6..2.24 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iOS 12.0

Better than erase is in your case maybe the clone tool or APs marvelous impainting tool or a combination of both for really invisble "erase" of nasty "elements".

OSX 10.13.5  / iMac Retina 27" / AMD Radeon R9 M380