You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Transfering from camera to computor

Hi

I have got a FujiFilm XT-3. Configured 1card slot for RAW and the 2nd card slot for JPEG. Connect to PC (iMac) and the system wants to import to Photos. If I do this and try to use Affinity to edit the RAW image the file does not come over as A RAW but JPEG

Question/s

Can I configure Affinity to receive the camera files

What do I need to do to get the RAW file over from Photo to infinity

Your help would be great

• Staff

Hi @RMole,

I suggest you copy the RAW files locally to your MAC and then import them in Affinity. It's not a generally good practice to work off removable devices. Also, importing to Photos does not allow you to open the RAW files. The handoff between Photos and Affinity Photo would be via TIFF. 

Thanks,

Gabe. 

Hi Gabe and many thanks for your speedy reply. I am trying to do as you suggest but I am as yet to find a way of transferring to a location on my MAC other than 'Photo'

(when I look at the information on the RAW image in Photo it does say its a RAW file so yes absolutely)

I am sure there must be a way but I cant readily find it

Kind regards

Sure

I am trying to avoid taking the SD cards out of the camera each time so am using the USB cable

camera does not show on macs devices list (but does trigger the import to photo so is being “seen”)

More research in setting up my camera me thinks!

1 hour ago, RMole said:

What do I need to do to get the RAW file over from Photo to infinity

Apple Photo can export the selected original RAW files over to a chosen location on your harddisk, from there just open them instead with Affinity Photo.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

50 minutes ago, RMole said:

I am trying to avoid taking the SD cards out of the camera each time so am using the USB cable.

What is the problem with taking the SD card out? Most photographers will do this. It does assume, of course that you have an SD slot (or adaptor) on your computer. If you put the card in the slot in your computer, it should recognize it as a drive.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

I use/share these kingston highspeed USB 3.x ones between Win + Mac computers without problems.

kingston_black.jpg.8d9153a43f0ec28d8e193d95fdc2cd42.jpgkingston.jpg.d8a111f9769b50088206a8f55b691309.jpg

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan

3 hours ago, v_kyr said:

Apple Photo can export the selected original RAW files over to a chosen location on your harddisk, from there just open them instead with Affinity Photo.

Hi and thanks

work flo is now thus

take image

attach usb cable and import to macs photo

export from photo to a names folder on hard drive

open and edit from there with affinity

very many thanks

3 hours ago, John Rostron said:

What is the problem with taking the SD card out? Most photographers will do this. It does assume, of course that you have an SD slot (or adaptor) on your computer. If you put the card in the slot in your computer, it should recognize it as a drive.

John

No problem with removing cards from a camera

just wanted to use the USB cable for battery charge and file transfer

now worked out a way that suits my work flow 

many thanks for your input though

8 hours ago, RMole said:

Connect to PC (iMac) and the system wants to import to Photos.

FWIW, you can change that, but Apple has made it ridiculously obscure & hard to set up, & it has to be done separately for each camera connected to your Mac with a USB cable. Aside from that, it does not work at all for some cameras. >:(

Bizarrely enough, you don't do this from within the Apple Photos app, or in System Preferences. Instead, you use the Image Capture app. If you are curious, the basics of how to set this up can be found in this article, among other places. The Assign Default Apps section of that article explains how to set a different default app than Apple Photos, or to set no default app at all. You can also specify a folder to import your photos to, create contact sheets, make simple web pages, & do other stuff with that app, as explained in this other article. There are also a few help topics built into the app but the online third party stuff is more comprehensive.

For simply copying your photos to a designated folder on your Mac without opening any app, it does an OK job, but it can be tedious if you want to use different folders for each import since you have to set that each time you use the app.

It also will work with the SD card reader built into your iMac, but annoyingly, if you reformat the card (which you should do only with the camera's built-in function for that) after the reformat it will be recognized as a new 'device,' as if it was a different camera.

With all those caveats in mind, it probably is not something you want to do. I just mentioned it because it does have a few useful features.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Hi and many thanks for your comprehensive reply. As you might gather, I am not that competent with 'stepping outside the norm' computer wise! I have, for me, a fairly simple work route. Derived from the various responses to my post

Kindest regards

8 hours ago, R C-R said:

if you reformat the card (which you should do only with the camera's built-in function for that)

Is that advice specific to this problem?  The idea that you shouldn't use anything but the camera to format the SD card simply isn't true.  The SD Association, which includes all the major camera manufacturers among its members, recommends using their formatter on Windows or Mac.

AP, AD & APub user, running Win10

59 minutes ago, IanSG said:

The SD Association, which includes all the major camera manufacturers among its members, recommends using their formatter on Windows or Mac.

I assume you are referring to the following from their site:

It is strongly recommended to use the SD Memory Card Formatter to format SD/SDHC/SDXC Cards rather than using formatting tools provided with individual operating systems.

As it states, their recommendation is to avoid using utilities (like Disk Utility for Macs) to format the cards, but they are not recommending using it instead of the camera's built-in function. So yes indeed, you could use their utility instead, but you need to download & install the app to do so.

You should also make sure you understand everything in the Important Notice section of the app's user manual to avoid problems. In real world terms, when using an iMac's built-in SD card reader, a not infrequently encountered problem is an intermittent connection due to dirty or worn contacts in the iMac's port, particularly on iMacs more than a few years old. That can cause a lost connection during the formatting process, equivalent to removing the card without ejecting it. If that happens, the safest way to fix it is to format the card using camera's built-in function, so that is one of the reasons I recommended using it in the first place.

The other reason is because @RMole mentioned wanting to avoid taking the SD card out of the camera.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

27 minutes ago, R C-R said:

but they are not recommending using it instead of the camera's built-in function.

Not there, agreed.  Somewhere in the site there's an explanation of why the utility was produced in the first place - from memory, it boiled down to providing the best error checking and taking advantage of the card's features.  My own experience has been that "problem cards" have stopped being problems once they've been formatted with the SD Association's software. 

33 minutes ago, R C-R said:

when using an iMac's built-in SD card reader, a not infrequently encountered problem is an intermittent connection due to dirty or worn contacts in the iMac's port, particularly on iMacs more than a few years old. That can cause a lost connection during the formatting process

Interesting!  If you read any of the technical papers on failure modes in SD cards they all agree that removing power during a write cycle is the most likely thing that will kill an SD card (more than static or temperature extremes) - that sounds like a recipe  for disaster!

AP, AD & APub user, running Win10

6 minutes ago, IanSG said:

- that sounds like a recipe  for disaster!

I don't know if it is really true but I have always assumed problems with the iMac's SD port connections are caused at least in part by the fan drawing in a small amount of air through the slot, so if it isn't used much, over time a little air borne crud can build up on the contacts & abrade them when a card is inserted. So, in a sense, maybe it is a "use it or lose it" kind of thing?

Perhaps a bit ironically, at least on 27" iMacs like mine Apple did such a good job of thermal management that its single fan almost never spins up above idle speed & even when it does the fan mount absorbs any vibration that might otherwise shake the crud loose & blow it away. :S

Affinity Photo 

2 hours ago, R C-R said:

...when using an iMac's built-in SD card reader, a not infrequently encountered problem is an intermittent connection due to dirty or worn contacts in the iMac's port, particularly on iMacs more than a few years old...

Pretty much the same as for built-in CD/DVD drives on older ones here, where CD/DVD disks in worst case maybe don't slide out anymore when unmount!