You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

One of my first works (isometry)

SilverNero

Welcome to the forum.

Nicely done. Bright and colourful with some nice detail (I wonder what's peering out of that crate).

I'm not an expert on isometric drawing but I have a few initial comments:
* The left-hand side and top of the window are confusing. If the window is inset into the wall then we shouldn't be able to see the left and top of the window (they should be 'inside' the wall).
* I would say that you need to think about your shadows a bit more. For example, the table and crate look like they're floating. Also, the pencils shadow - on the table - looks the wrong way round. The shadows of the boards on the far wall look strange too.
* The 'smile' on the board resting against the wall seems to be at the wrong angle.
* The 'paints case' seems to be missing a leg (or two).

These are all minor issues though and they don't mean that your drawing is "wrong", it's just that these things caught my eye early on.
It will be interesting to see how the next version looks if you make one.

On 12/6/2018 at 7:17 AM, SilverNero said:
On 12/6/2018 at 9:08 AM, GarryP said:

Welcome to the forum.

Nicely done. Bright and colourful with some nice detail (I wonder what's peering out of that crate).

I'm not an expert on isometric drawing but I have a few initial comments:
* The left-hand side and top of the window are confusing. If the window is inset into the wall then we shouldn't be able to see the left and top of the window (they should be 'inside' the wall).
* I would say that you need to think about your shadows a bit more. For example, the table and crate look like they're floating. Also, the pencils shadow - on the table - looks the wrong way round. The shadows of the boards on the far wall look strange too.
* The 'smile' on the board resting against the wall seems to be at the wrong angle.
* The 'paints case' seems to be missing a leg (or two).

These are all minor issues though and they don't mean that your drawing is "wrong", it's just that these things caught my eye early on.
It will be interesting to see how the next version looks if you make one.

I am really new to this as well but I agree with  what Garry P said.  It’s a good attempt 

Also, thanks for the tutorial link Simon Degay. 

I was reminded late last night of something I tried - and abandoned - a few years ago.
It was the start of an idea for a keyboard short-cut map poster for an application I was using at the time.
The idea was based on the concept of a town where the roads were the connections between the functions.
For example, at the near-top-right of the attached image I had the keyboard short-cuts written on buildings with a sign in front of each saying which modifier keys were to be used and a 'statue' at the end of the road to indicate the area of functionality (in this case, file functions, therefore the filing cabinet).
The more-central example was similar but with 'signposts' for the functions.
I'm not sure what the bottom-left idea was about.
The whole thing was done in Inkscape and, probably - if I remember correctly - using the SSR method as mentioned above (but I think the tiny cars were clipart).
Don't know why I didn't finish it but it was more of an experiment than anything else.
Thought I'd post it here in case it gave anyone any ideas.

isometric town 16 compressed.png