You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Letter spacing bug

2 hours ago, mac_heibu said:

And why is this a „bug“?

Because the software should be able to read your mind and know what letters to space. :)

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

iPad Pro (10.5-inch) • 256GB • Version 16.4

15 minutes ago, Seneca said:

Because the software should be able to read your mind and know what letters to space. :)

I want it to choose the tool I am staring at. 

Seriously I have had to undo several steps after trying to do just that in many many different applications over the years, you would think I would learn but no.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

I think the implication is that the text box or artistic text is selected as an object but that the insertion point has not been placed or text highlighted.  In this situation it might not be unreasonable to expect that some of the adjustments would be applied to all of the text in the selected object.

8 minutes ago, fde101 said:

I think the implication is that the text box or artistic text is selected as an object but that the insertion point has not been placed or text highlighted.  In this situation it might not be unreasonable to expect that some of the adjustments would be applied to all of the text in the selected object.

I understood the implication but the asked for functionality would be horrible. I frequently have dozens to hundreds of linked text frames, will the shortcut apply to all the text over all the pages? All the different Paragraph Styles could be over-ridden resulting in a mess. How is selecting the text with the Text Tool so arduous? What are we looking at an additional one or two clicks with the mouse, three at the most.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

7 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

I understood the implication but the asked for functionality would be horrible. I frequently have dozens to hundreds of linked text frames, will the shortcut apply to all the text over all the pages? All the different Paragraph Styles could be over-ridden resulting in a mess. How is selecting the text with the Text Tool so arduous? What are we looking at an additional one or two clicks with the mouse, three at the most.

Well, the behaviour on the current version is different from the Beta version... The way it is right now you have to "enter" the text with text tool, selecting the whole thing, then applying the character spacing... Before, all you needed to do was select the text with the moving tool and use a shortcut.

Now, I understand the mess you suggested, however, would be easier for you not to select more than one text at once, if prefer not to do so, than be forced to do it many times, let's say in 20 different instances, one by one. So my option would be: yes, the way it is right now is very arduous in cases like that.

• Staff

Hi Reminous,

I've reproduced it and it is similar to an issue I found last week. Essentially whilst you've got the Move Tool selected, it will remember any form of text selection you made. So by default there isn't a selection, which is why the shortcut isn't working. However if you make a text selection in your text frame, switch back to the move tool and then use the shortcut it will actually operate on that text selection you made (despite the whole frame being selected).

I'll get this passed on to development.

• Staff

We hope this issue is fixed and will be available in the next beta

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.