You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

EMF Import issues

I have a diagram that was created in Illustrator CS6 and exported as an Enhanced Windows Metafile (EMF).

The EMF file does not render correctly,

There is a collision in the text and the Font Awesome font used for some symbols simply render as boxes. There is also an error message that comes upon import, (drag and drop), that there is a font missing. I know the font is present on this machine and other programs have no problem rendering or using the Font Awesome font. There is also a line at the top, which should be rendered with a gradient, but it comes out as a funny line.

The errors have been highlighted in red.

The original EMF file is also attached.

Affinity Designer version 1.7.0.167

K

30 Value Proposition Canvas 1 Process.emf

Capture.PNG

Win 10 x64 1809. AMD Ryzen, 16GB RAM, 512GB NVMe SSD, nVidia GPU.

Well, on my machine it is even worse: The whole diagram looks beaten up. But to no surprise: Plenty of fonts used while creating this illustration are missing. And that seems to be the key to the problem: If by any chance Adobe Illustrator offers the option to export fonts as curves then I guess everything will be fine. The downside of course: The text is no longer editable. This could by avoided by using PDF as an export format.

Cheers,
Volker

My worry, is not that if the font is really missing, that it doesn't work, but in my case, Font Awesome 5 Pro is installed on my machine and it renders the EMF correctly in Word (Office 365) without problems.

The gradient didn't apply to the underline of the title. Each of these is potentially problematic. I know this is a Beta, which is why I am posting to the forum. Most of the fonts are Segoe (print and UI), the other is an free hand written font. I was expecting it to render correctly on my machine without issue.

I do agree, in general, there isn't a good way of taking illustrations (diagrams) from one bit of software to another and keeping all the detail and formatting.

• 1 month later...
  • Staff

Hi Katie1348,

Sorry this one slipped through the cracks! I've just tried it in 1.7.0.227, and it seems as though the Gradient is now opening correctly, however I don't have a copy of Font Awesome 5 Pro! Would it be possible to attach a copy of Font Awesome 5 Pro and the other used fonts to our internal Dropbox accounts using the link below?

https://www.dropbox.com/request/Gjsv8wKXa2XmkzF37m0Y

Thanks!

I have uploaded the font file as requested, but be aware, this is a commercial font, that I have paid for. So, it can only be used for this bit of testing.

It should be deleted when you have confirmed that the test has proven successful.

• Staff
1 hour ago, Katie1348 said:

I have uploaded the font file as requested, but be aware, this is a commercial font, that I have paid for. So, it can only be used for this bit of testing.

It should be deleted when you have confirmed that the test has proven successful.

Hi Katie1348, thanks for the file, however it looks as though you've attached the free version. The file attached is exactly the same as the one found as part of Font Awesome's 5.6.0 desktop release on their GitHub - see attached image comparing the two files.

https://github.com/FortAwesome/Font-Awesome/releases/tag/5.6.0

Would it be possible for you to attach this (and the other fonts it uses) so I can reproduce the issue of not finding the other font correctly when opening. 

Thanks!

FontAwesome.png

• Staff
On 1/29/2019 at 11:18 AM, Katie1348 said:

Sorry about that.

Unfortunate, fluff up corrected. It was even in the filename, so there is no excuse. Correct file uploaded now.

Not a problem! Thank you very much - I've now reproduced it and passed it onto development. Thanks again for letting us know!

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.