You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Scaling Pic Frame Content & Images by Percentage

Does this help?

Capture.PNG.5e3bb58bdfaeb287698700aa61a9c96b.PNG

Microsoft - Like entering your home and opening the stainless steel kitchen door, with a Popup: 'Do you really want to open this door'? Then looking for the dishwasher and finding it stored in the living room where you have to download a water supply from the app store, then you have to buy microsoft compliant soap, remove the carpet only to be told that it is glued to the floor.. Don't forget to make multiple copies of your front door key and post them to all who demand access to all the doors inside your home including the windows and outside shed.

Apple - Like entering your home and opening the oak framed Kitchen door and finding the dishwasher right in front you ready to be switched on, soap supplied, and water that comes through a water softener.  Ah the front door key is yours and it only needs to open the front door.

Hi Chris, the transform palette options in Publisher are quite basic, I cannot see a percentage value - this is much more useful when scaling objects which regularly comes up in our workflow.

For example: if you have multiple images of different dimensions and/or formats and you want to scale them all to say 50% or 25% of their original size - please see attached screen grab from Indesign to explain this.

Nearly all design software both 2D and 3D has a scale factor function in either 'percentage' or decimal value 'scale up or down by a factor of 1.5 or 0.5' ..surely Publisher has this and I'm just not seeing it!?

Screenshot 2018-12-06 at 14.05.16.jpg

You can scale to a percentage of the *current* size by typing something like 50% into the width/height fields in the transform panel.  This does not represent a percentage of the *original* size but of the size at the time you enter the percentage.

Percentage of original size is not currently possible in Publisher from what I understand.

• 2 months later...
5 hours ago, Eve said:

Hello! Is there an information window anywhere? Where one could see the current scale? Thx

With the image layer selected (double-click on the frame if the image is inside a frame) it is on the context toolbar along the top of the window.

On 2/14/2019 at 1:45 PM, Eve said:

Hello! Is there an information window anywhere? Where one could see the current scale? Thx

This is a major missing feature!

There is no such information like the actual size in % which is absolutely annoying!

The transform studio only shows the W and H so you have to do the math to scale a picture for example to 75%. if you want to fill a frame with a picture at 100%, you have to first set at the Picture frame properties "None - the picture will not be scaled" then place the image so it fills at 100%. Now you can use "doubleclick+select little black arrow" to select the Picture and use the transform studio to scale it - you can use % at the W or H field, so 75% for example. If you change your mind because you want the picture to be at 80% you have to do some math again. So scale it up to 133.33333333333% (since the actual size is set to 100% again) an then scale it again down to 80%. 

I am using a lot of objects that have to be exactly at certain scales, floor plans PDF files. So when I come back to any project and open the publisher file after a while, there is no way for me to find out the scale of the floor plans without checking the original PDF sizes at the resource manager and do the math again which is ridiculous!

So once again: PLEASE put the absolute %W and %H into the Transform Studio.

• 1 month later...

Totally agree with ChrisGraz.

One more thing concerning percentages: Percentages of placed images should be stored! At the moment, whe you replace an image, the new image just appears in whatever size. This is extremly annoying when for example you want to update an picture with a newer version of itself and it jumps back to its original size and you need to to the scaling/cropping-adjustments all over again.

On 2/15/2019 at 2:26 PM, ChrisGraz said:

If you change your mind because you want the picture to be at 80% you have to do some math again. So scale it up to 133.33333333333% (since the actual size is set to 100% again) an then scale it again down to 80%.

There is no need to work out that the inverse of 75% is 133.33333333333%you can let the app do the arithmetic for you. Having scaled the picture down by *=75% you can simply scale it back up by /=75% (and then apply the new scale factor).

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

5 minutes ago, fde101 said:

Probably because they are not considered images, but rather embedded documents.

Hopefully one day I will have the choice how to place / open a PDF.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

• 4 months later...
On 3/21/2019 at 2:07 PM, mac_heibu said:

There are very good chances, to get this feature, because Designer already has it. Look here: 

Thank you for pointing this out – I was looking at this part of the user interface, but I didn't realize you could actually click it, that little downwards pointing arrow didn't work for me somehow. :7_sweat_smile:

2023_b.png.6eb47882072cc58253b7219526339b14.png

• 1 month later...

The Image info pop-over is nice, indeed. However it seems to work only with certain image types.

I had placed an old Photoshop file and was looking for the info panel - no luck. So I placed an Affinity Photo, JPEG and TIFF file alongside, and the info panel is available only with JPEG and TIFF.  It doesn't work with Affinity's own image format? That's really weird. Could you please fix this?

Cheers, Stefan

Affinity Publisher 1.7.2 on Mac OS 10.13.6

Info panel for different image formats.pdf

52 minutes ago, fde101 said:

Photoshop and Affinity documents are both document formats rather than image formats.

The popup only shows up for image formats.

That's a statement, not an explanation. Photo documents have a pixel size, PDF has a size in mm or inches. As far as I'm concerned it's a missing feature if you can't see the scaling factor of a placed document.

I've switched from QuarkXpress to InDesign 1.5 somewhere around 2001, now I'm trying to go the Affinity way. This kind of thing makes it rough going.

Kind regards, Stefan