You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hyperlink - Live URL Text Link

1 hour ago, Fixx said:

Publisher is print oriented at the moment and links printed to paper tend to work badly..

Don't forget the PDF files, which can also be viewed on the screen, and where links, even in a print document, can make sense.

On 12/7/2018 at 2:34 AM, Fixx said:

Publisher is print oriented at the moment and links printed to paper tend to work badly..

I know you are joking, but really, print is dying to the point where I say it's dead. When's the last time you read a "paper" newspaper or magazine. It's been years for me. When the last time you wrote a check? For some people, printed books are important, but mine are all digital. My feeling is that for Affinity to focus on the print world is looking backwards. I need AFPub to produce my PDF woodworking plans. I need hyperlinks now not some years from now.

Perform a search here in the beta forum for "Hyperlink." Lots of people see it as a very important part of a (this) publishing app. 

3 minutes ago, Mr. K said:

When's the last time you read a "paper" newspaper or magazine.

This morning, and generally most days we read at least one printed newspaper and one or more printed magazines :)

(I also buy many printed books.)

When the last time you wrote a check?

I write one every few weeks. My wife writes them more often, perhaps 1 every week or two.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

10 minutes ago, Mr. K said:

When's the last time you read a "paper" newspaper or magazine

This morning too. 

10 minutes ago, Mr. K said:

When the last time you wrote a check?

Never, I have always used cash, card or transfer.

Personally, I just hate reading PDF though in practice my job is to create PDFs for reading :-D  It means though I have to research and decide what works and what does not.

I much prefer epub as novel/long text format, but I really have not seen yet convincing text & images ebooks. I think this whole genre is a work in progress. Though progress can be quick.

Anyway, when Affinity takes on digital media it should be much more than adding links to PDFs. PDF may be good enough a platform but there are many other features that can be utilised. 

I have a document I did in QuarkXPress instead of trying to use the APub beta just recently only because of wanting to put a hyperlink in it.  Otherwise I think I would have liked to use APub better.

I have a related (shorter) document I did not need a link for that I did in the APub beta, because I could.

A tip that may work for some (And if you are in a Mac): PDF Expert for Mac on sale $20.00 USD (down from $80) .

The sale should last a little longer but I've seen it come and go in the past couple of months. ( I bought in the last sale) 

Nice utility. You can add hyperlinks there. (You could view it as an add on).

https://deals.x-mirage.com/sales/pdf-expert-for-mac-2

I know it costs extra and It's not really integrated but the plus is that you can add links to PDFs created in both Designer and Publisher and not wait for Affinity to add this. It could be months or years as we all know.

I personally found it useful , hope somebody else benefits from the tip.

Regards,

fjv

------------------------

Fernando Velarde

www.velarde.com

Instagram.com/soyfervelarde

7 hours ago, velarde said:

A tip that may work for some (And if you are in a Mac): PDF Expert for Mac on sale $20.00 USD (down from $80) .

The sale should last a little longer but I've seen it come and go in the past couple of months. ( I bought in the last sale) 

Nice utility. You can add hyperlinks there. (You could view it as an add on).

https://deals.x-mirage.com/sales/pdf-expert-for-mac-2

I know it costs extra and It's not really integrated but the plus is that you can add links to PDFs created in both Designer and Publisher and not wait for Affinity to add this. It could be months or years as we all know.

I personally found it useful , hope somebody else benefits from the tip.

Regards,

fjv

Thanks for the heads up on this one. This is an acceptable solution until AFPub has a built-in hyperlink tool, which will make things much easier.

I did purchase it, and I got another 10% using the promo code that was sent to me. The way to make that work is to put the app in the cart, enter your email address, select Paypal and continue, then go back and wait for the promo code email to arrive, then go back again, apply the code, and buy it. Sounds more complicated than it is.

FYI... It is a bit convoluted buying this app through deals.x. Copy and save your activation code. You will need that again when you open the app since what you get in the download is a trial version. You apply your code there and then it's the full version.

7 hours ago, Mr. K said:

... This is an acceptable solution until AFPub has a built-in hyperlink tool, which will make things much easier. ...

Many PDF editors can do this.
I don't know how many links there are. But it must be clear to you that after each change or correction in the original document (and subsequent export) you must renew all links.

1 hour ago, Michail said:

Many PDF editors can do this.
I don't know how many links there are. But it must be clear to you that after each change or correction in the original document (and subsequent export) you must renew all links.

Yes, that is a problem, but it won't be fixed until Affinity adds hyperlinks to AFPub, so I have no alternative and that is sad.

I just finished publishing our Photo Club's quarterly newsletter using APub.... yeah yeah I know... it's beta and don't trust beta, right! But, it worked!

The difference between the old version of this newsletter and the new one using APub is like night and day... and everyone noticed how much of an improvement there was. The only questions I got were from the ones who tried to click on some tips (hyperlinked) that had previously lead to web sites in previous newsletters produced in a WP.

Yes, I have a need for hyperlinks and no I don't want to have to use an external editor to accomplish that task, not only with this newsletter but with sports manuals as well.

APub is one of the cleanest Beta's I've come across. Like many others I eagerly awaited its arrival and like only some I seem to have understood that it is a work in progress. I do hope the progress includes hyperlinks...

... and pop-ups. In a graphic oriented publication like a Photo Newsletter or online Magazine I would like to see a hyperlink to a pop-up window such that when a photo is clicked in the publication it brings up a full screen (or sized window) of that image for better viewing.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/6/2018 at 11:50 AM, MEB said:

Hi DanBrizol,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
This is not possible currently. It should be added in a future version later (after official release).

Very good news. But what about Designer et Photo ? They can produce PDF too.

1 hour ago, SilvRO said:

Very good news. But what about Designer et Photo ? They can produce PDF too.

It's the same code base. Whether it appears in AD and APh is determined solely by its meaningfulness. Whether this makes a lot of sense in an image processing program, I have my doubts. It also doesn't make sense to implement all functions in all programs of the software suite. This would deprive the other applications involved of their right to exist.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎12‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 8:34 AM, Fixx said:

I suppose that Affinity Publisher could be designed so that as well as an insert hyperlink feature, there is an automated insert hyperlink and QR code feature, such that a hyperlink and a QR code with the hyperlink information encoded into it could both be added into the document as one automated facility. That could be good.

William

Until December 2022, using a Lenovo laptop running Windows 10 in England. From January 2023, using an HP laptop running Windows 11 in England.