You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Things I'd like as an artist on a PC

• ability to record the canvas and turn it into a 30 to 50-second time-lapse video
• toolset geared for concept designers such as 3d drawing (like Umake)and sketchbook designer.
• copic markers
• toolset for photo bashing to make it run smoothly.
• drawing guides such as symmetry, perspective, isometric and 2d, 3d grids.
• an app that allows us to use our mobile phone to capture brushes and textures to use in the program.
• more realistic painting brushes like procreate and Paintstorm has.
• clipping masks, quick shapes, liquify dynamics, new strokes taper. And yeah just like Procreate. Can't help but ask. I'm tired of Apple getting all the good stuff.
• color wheel.
 three-dimensional sketching
If I missed anything then add it or if it's already in there then I'm sorry but could you show me in a small screenshot. I'm very new to the program and was hoping that it was an art program as much or more than photoshop. I wanted something that would replace some of the other programs that I have so I can save money and space.

If not in this program, are you guys working on a new one like for instance Affinity Artist, Affinity sketchbook, Affinity painter?

I understand some of my requests may sound stupid or they are already in the program but if you see the programs that I have talked about you will know what I'm talking about. Umake, procreate, etc. This could be for either program. 

Here is an edit to my post in reply to some of the others. 

I have Paintstorm and Procreate on an iPad. Mind you, it's not a large one and that's just the problem whereas I have a large PC desktop(I have Paintstorm on pc and not on the iPad) that is way more easy to draw at with my Wacom and I can use ZBrush or Sketchup at the same time to model out scenes to add to my work on the fly. Now to the guy who said Photo isn't for painting well if they want to get people away from photoshop they better think differently. That's the whole reason why I bought it in the first place as well as dealing with my photos. Now I know most if not all of this is in some way in one of their programs but it could be more and they could beat the other companies to the punch with some of these added features I have suggested. But like I said even if they just build another program with these abilities and sold them for the same price would you not go out to buy them? There is no other program like Umake at all on any other device and I think it is their biggest mistake in staying on the Ipad. Affinity would have the market all to itself on computers if they added this to one of their programs. And artist would flock to it in a heartbeat even more so. I have heard and do have Lazy Nezumi but didn't know it worked on Affinity so thanks for that.

https://www.paintstormstudio.com/index.html 

https://www.umake.xyz/

Just to be able to do the 3d sketching would be awesome! Don't need the modeling. I believe this is the way of drawing as VR is getting bigger every year and still can't understand why it's not out there for an affordable price. If you added this to you're the program it would be the envy of every artist who does concept design out there.  

If I'm asking for too much just know that I still love your programs for what they do but just wish for so much more.

Edited by Baz40
edited it to fill in parts I missed

Photo is not a digital painting software....

Also, check Paolo's brushes,  http://www.daub-brushes.com they're pretty good. Affinity Photo 1.7.x beta is also including some trad. media brushes, and they work in combination with Paolo's efforts. I have noticed the customer beta 1.7 getting nice improvements in the brushes. Some of which I was really hoping for.

But again, you are mostly listing digital painting apps, very, very specialized on that, lacking all general image editing features Photo has. If you are not staying in just using those ( Paintstorm is indeed particularly cheap, as it is Procreate, and you wouldn't be breaking  the bank with Art rage or even Rebelle 3) is because, like a bunch of us, you need that other functionality as well for your work... My take: One can't have it all at same time, same place. I'm just fully happy with getting a fully reliable brush/picker system without all those features you mentioned (good ones, but IMO, not core (check my signature...), neither essential. I'd definitely address first the core stuff. Is definitely not key to get a screen record feature, or an external phone app to capture a texture, for example...).

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 (not using v1.x anymore) and V2.4.x. Windows 10 and Windows 11. 

recording the canvas-> giftcam,Screentogif,shareX,obsstudio and other programs.
copic markers ->

color wheel. ->

340113798_colorwheel.jpg.7c99823797c60e11ea4505ded0d026a2.jpg

-> regarding Symmetry, there seems to be significant improvements to be avilable in the current Affinity Photo Beta but I wasn`t able yet to find nor use it, someone else has to confirm or give tips on using/enabling that.

Symmetry (up to 32-way) is now supported - including on-canvas controls and optional mirroring. We have more symmetry features on the way - so stay tuned during the beta process.

-> drawing guides such as symmetry, perspective, isometric and 2d, 3d grids.

If you need such  features right now - or even better, want them across all your programs, I can only recommend imo the excellent https://lazynezumi.com/

it can be used easily with Affinity Photo.

Sketchbook (with Affinity Suite usage) | timurariman.com | artstation store

Windows 11 Pro - 23H2 | Ryzen 5800X3D | RTX 3090 - 24GB | 128GB |
Main SSD with 1TB | SSD 4TB | PCIe SSD 256GB (configured as Scratch disk) |

11 hours ago, SrPx said:

( Paintstorm is indeed particularly cheap, as it is Procreate, and you wouldn't be breaking  the bank with Art rage or even Rebelle 3)

Paintstorm Studio is currently available for only US$19. At US$89.99, Rebelle 3 is ‘slightly’ more expensive!

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

That's why the "or even".... ;)   ( In Spanish you'd have caught it... ;)  ) . Indeed, in that sentence of mine, prices go from the cheapest (actually , Procreate is cheaper) to more expensive).That said, still 90 bucks ain't breaking the bank....

Both have imo a pair of serious probs, anyway.... Mostly they're GPU bound as far as I know... this or some other hardware matter forces the fact of not being able to work with large canvases....(and for one of them, the limit is really bad...) , it's even documented ! Larger canvases is an absolute need for someone wanting to send the work for print (you need a lot of pixels when printing at 300 dpi for an usual illustration size). Even if purchasing an expensive card (but I don't see myself putting 800 -1k in a  g. card), the memory in those wont go past 8gbs or 12 in the best case (not necessarily related to the canvas size limit, but is one of the main probs I see when apps are very GPU focused) . So, with that limit in printing, this is bad for illustration,  one of the main user targets, obviously. And most illustrators I know need the print output yet in 2018, even if not 90% of the work produced like it is my case, but in any case is a pretty relevant limitation. Similar reason why, even if I'd be comfortable with a 12.9 " screen (which I'm certainly not, not even for reading the news), 8k x 8k (or 10k in one of the sides) canvases of the iPad Pro do not cut it either for the task in hand. So, the super cool effects of traditional painting and other whistles addition forcing all that situation kindda defeats the purpose, the way I see it..... And this all only to explain that even in their very own focused purpose these specialized tools have issues....But it goes beyond that, if considering the usual needs of an illustrator or whatever graphic artist, which go way beyond that trad painting mimicking functionality.  Last time I checked, one of them didn't even have a text tool,  as they are not packages aiming to cover the functionality that PS or AP do ...but ....as an illustrator, sooner or later you need a text tool, and very advanced.  Well, for actual illustration, and many other fields of creation, they are severely limited. I see many lacks for an every day job tool... I can se tho, how someone having all the gigs being ONLY traditional painting, and just that, could deal with it. Someone doing graphics in a more varied way, and not doing it for hobby... finds better help in something like PS or AP.  (even CSP is better covered in all that than the new toys)

So, while I wish a very solid brush system in its core basics, increasing performance and etc for AP, and specially better color picker, all those other listed features would be to embed an entire digital painter solution inside AP. I wouldn't complain, you know, but a lot are taken from GPU bound apps, or at least, very digital paint-only apps which do not have to care about much more in the UI. To be fair, I very much doubt is possible, although who knows. I wouldn't wish the going for those "nice to have" features tho before addressing some more core stuff for the actual act of painting...

I mean, for the type of production a lot of freelancers do. For mimicking watercolor and stuff... they have surely no rival, very specially Rebelle 3 (it even simulates the movement of the canvas to make the water "paint" by itself).... But the fact is, for typical gigs, I don't even need that... is the nostalgic artist I have in me, as much. Meaning, those are digital painting tools, among the best around. But are not full work horses, like PS and AP. I choose the latter, any day, for freelancing work and for in-house work at a company, too. 

Even more, again not specifying which, one or two of those are tied to the machine used to purchase it. I hate that almost as much as subscription. If you buy another machine, you need to ask for another license. In some cases not even possible, is a tool purchased for that machine, and that's it...

The GPU based stuff has its issues when all is so heavily depending on it....I prefer when it is merely a helper.

Anyway, my main point is that is different a very dedicated digital painting tool where painting related stuff is the only thing that matters than a photography/image editor (very versatile, so, pretended or not, it serves pretty much in every field where PS does) which has quite more fields to cover. At the same time, I think it deserves a good basic painting system, because, that's what is mostly needed to make art, and hopefully, things like better brush system, brush performance, and better interactive color picking, seems to me that all this will help as well in photo retouch tasks (and etc).

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 (not using v1.x anymore) and V2.4.x. Windows 10 and Windows 11.