You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to Create Multi-panel Foldouts for Magazines?

Two somewhat related questions here really. Both have to do with setting up special Masters with more than two pages:

1) For a magazine, how would one go about setting up a four-panel foldout page in Publisher?

2) How would one go about setting up a spread for a magazine cover (front cover, spine, back cover), or a book dust jacket (front inside flap, front cover, spine, back cover, back inside flap) in Publisher?

If there is an overall colour that bleeds, and you add fold marks (a dotted line that is underneath the base colour) that extend over the bleed area where your guides are, unless you have a slug area or you can include an area larger than the bleed then you're not going to see the fold marks.

I set up an AfPub document with 3 pages to show what I mean. The attached pdf is the output from that document.

Page 1 shows the fold marks over the whole page.

Page 2 shows the fold area as 3 different colours, the fold marks are below the colour panels, although you can't see them you can work out where it folds.

Page 3 show an overall colour that bleeds, the fold marks are there, but are hidden by the colour area. They will only appear on the pdf if the bleed area is increased beyond the current 3mm. In pdf terms that would make the bleed boundary box incorrect. The blue line on the attached screenshot is the bleed box, the red line is the art box and the green line is the trim box. 

1-3rd page A4 base art.pdf

Screen Shot 2018-12-06 at 16.39.57.png

17 hours ago, mac_heibu said:

As a long time InDesign and QXP user I did it always this way, although both apps have a multipage/spread feature.

What ID can do that QXP cannot is have pages of differing sizes. So while in ID I can make a trifold using different page sizes and have them side-by-side, QXP cannot. Neither can QXP do covers using different size pages side-by-side as one can do in ID. Being able to do so is often requested to Quark, but it hasn't happened as of yet.

4 minutes ago, MikeW said:

Neither can QXP do covers using different size pages side-by-side as one can do in QXP

Mike you sure meant then "...as one can do in ID here" instead (?).

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

@mac_heibu

On 12/5/2018 at 4:07 PM, mac_heibu said:

Simply one page with respective guidelines.

As a long time InDesign and QXP user I did it always this way, although both apps have a multipage/spread feature.

On further reflection, I understand how one might choose to set up a separate, single-page document with guides to layout a magazine cover, or a book dust jacket with interior flaps, but now how exactly would you set up a two-panel, magazine-page foldout in Publisher? I'm stumped. 

21 hours ago, Mark Oehlschlager said:

@mac_heibu

On further reflection, I understand how one might choose to set up a separate, single-page document with guides to layout a magazine cover, or a book dust jacket with interior flaps, but now exactly would you set up a two-panel, magazine-page foldout in Publisher? I'm stumped. 

I think you would need to use single page layout not facing page layout and then change the size of the pages and use guides instead of margins etc.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

I am quite sure, it won‘t.

I think, it is the time, when existing bugs and glitches are ironed out to meet a release date at about end of the year. Completely new features will certainly be a matter of a subsequent version. Would be to dangerous to risc new bugs and side effects by integrating completely new features. I strongly assume, that „Pubisher 1.7“ reached the „feature freeze state“.