You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Please add double sized icons to the UI changes in 1.7 final!

I personally think the size of the icons is good... the larger the icons are the more screen space they take up and the less room there is for the document you are working on...

That said, it may vary for people working in different situations with different types of screens and the like so having an option to scale the icon size (either with a slider or with a "small"/"medium"/"large" choice) is not a bad idea.

4 hours ago, fde101 said:

I personally think the size of the icons is good... the larger the icons are the more screen space they take up and the less room there is for the document you are working on...

That said, it may vary for people working in different situations with different types of screens and the like so having an option to scale the icon size (either with a slider or with a "small"/"medium"/"large" choice) is not a bad idea.

i would hate to have big icons as god-given-default. So yeah, like in dozens others cases, some people like this flavor, behavior, setting, view... some other people like it in the opposite... so in GENERAL: there could be more options for "difficulut" questions of personalize view and workflow... 

But its a feature request not really part of 1.7 beta-duiscussion.  Afaik this build is for fixing big bugs instead implementing new features, So please fix first eg. all the macro-bugs, as first,  and after this, implement new things... And yeah, i generally would like to see that 1.8 is focused on workflow/user-settings/UI-opimization... stuff like that.

OSX 12.5  / iMac Retina 27" / Radeon Pro 580X / Metall: on! --- WWG1WGA WW!

Doubling the size wouldn't be make them big though. It would make them go from microscopic sized to almost approaching medium size. When I read an article on the new Photoshop I saw that they were catching up with some of the exclusive Affinity features and also adding many options for change the size of icons so if this doesn't get addressed Serif might have some problems. The first retina display on a Mac came out about 6 to 7 years ago so this ultra high res tech is actually brand new at this point. I would have expected it many years ago. The current size is also wasteful on a 27" display. Nearly half of the toolbar is just blank so it would barely be taking up any more space!! The current amount of screen space is like what... maybe 2%? So doubling it would be going up from 2% to 3%?

Screen Shot 2018-12-06 at 12.07.56 PM.png

And what about people who want 2 columns, or 3 columns of tools?   I agree with fde101 that a potential "small"/"medium"/"large" might be a nice future option.    Future.  Just now, I am glad to have ANYTHING that isn't Adobe.

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

39 minutes ago, jmwellborn said:

And what about people who want 2 columns, or 3 columns of tools?   I agree with fde101 that a potential "small"/"medium"/"large" might be a nice future option.    Future.  Just now, I am glad to have ANYTHING that isn't Adobe.

You can do two columns now. I generally don't use that format but it is currently available.

24 minutes ago, KipV said:

You can do two columns now. I generally don't use that format but it is currently available.

I think the point was that if you have larger tool icons you take up more space, but if you have larger icons and two or three columns of tools you take up a lot more space.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

10 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

I think the point was that if you have larger tool icons you take up more space, but if you have larger icons and two or three columns of tools you take up a lot more space.

Well, but with 2 rows you can better "order" your tools, like eg the flat-fill and the gradient beside or both doge/burn beside.... 

However, the order and the size is an INDIVIDUAL decision... and the rest of the double-row you could use for useful zhings you highly frequented want like, standard clours, most gradients, current cloors and mybe your top 10 of brushes like here. That would speedup your workflow enorm... But as said that should be free for PERSONAL use, not a static one-size-fits-all decision, by people which cry the loudest.

Bildschirmfoto 2018-12-07 um 09.05.44.jpg

19 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Precisely.    

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

1 hour ago, KipV said:

People are way over thinking this stuff. Using an extra 1% of the screen isn't worthy of this much discussion. If that extra sliver of screen space is really that important then it's time to buy a bigger monitor. More important things to talk about.

Or maybe you should buy a glass!  I do not want BIG icons!

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...