You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Editing bitmaps with original resolution?

All 'Affinities' have the ability to place bitmaps in their documents, which can be zoomed, rotated etc. as desired. By some reason, these bitmaps are not placed as 'bitmap' objects, but 'image' objects. This apparently makes it impossible to, e.g., use Designer's bitmap facilities to edit them:

• When selecting a newly placed bitmap and trying any of the functions from the Pixel Persona, I'm told that a new pixel layer was created, so the selected bitmap cannot be made transparent with that.
  • When rasterising the image, it is automatically re-rasterised with the current document resolution, which in roughly 100% of all cases is not equal to the placed bitmap resolution, so the image changes and becomes blurred by the rasterising, which is undesired.
  • Trying to edit the placed image directly in Affinity Photo doesn't work, either, because when selecting the menu item Edit in Affinity Photo, the whole document is rasterised with the document resolution, which is still undesired.

In PagePlus, after selecting a bitmap, it is possible to directly edit this bitmap with PhotoPlus, and no matter how large or rotated the bitmap is, PhotoPlus is opened with the original bitmap, and one can edit this. Wonderful!

Whatever I tried with the Affinities, I could not find anything similar. Either it didn't work at all, or the bitmap was wrongly re-rasterised. Is there any function planned that can do this (or perhaps it's already available, but hidden somewhere I didn't look)? I often work with bitmaps from the clipboard, and the only possibility I found was not pasting the clipboard into Designer or Publisher, but first pasting it into Photo, changing it there, saving it as a file on disk and importing it into Designer or Publisher. This seems to be much more inconvenient than with PagePlus, and especially a waste of the nice Pixel Persona functions in Designer, which I now can not make use of due to the problematic re-rasterisation...

Andreas Weidner

PS: Of course this doesn't really matter with high-resolution real-world photos, which probably look good whether re-rasterised or not. But I'm using lots of very small GUI screenshots with pixel sizes of 16x16, 32x32 or other stuff like that. Re-rasterising such miniatures creates quite visible changes, and the resulting blur doesn't look too good. And increasing the document resolution to 1200dpi or so seems a waste of resources and would later create unnecessarily large PDFs.