You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Problems with TrueType font "Bahnschrift"

Bahnschrift is a standard font for Windows 10 since Fall Creators Update and I really like it.

Unfortunately it can't be used correctly with Publisher as all font styles are detected as "Regular".

Other fonts seem to work properly.

bahnschrift.png

Windows 10 Pro x64 (1903). Intel Core i7-9700K @ 3.60GHz, 32 GB memory, NVidia RTX 2080
Affinity Photo 1.7.2.471, Affinity Designer 1.7.2.471, Affinity Publisher 1.7.2.471

Bahnschrift is a variable font, a relatively new kind of font which is not yet supported by the Affinity apps. At present we can only use typefaces where there is a separate font file for each style.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Ok, this means even Affinity Photo does not support that? Nice to know.

This surprises me as my copy of Photoshop Elements 12 seems to have no problem with that.

I hope devs are aware of this problem and work on that.

Windows 10 Pro x64 (1903). Intel Core i7-9700K @ 3.60GHz, 32 GB memory, NVidia RTX 2080
Affinity Photo 1.7.2.471, Affinity Designer 1.7.2.471, Affinity Publisher 1.7.2.471

2 hours ago, Steps said:

This surprises me as my copy of Photoshop Elements 12 seems to have no problem with that.

This, in turn, surprises me! My copy of Photoshop Elements 13 offers me ‘Bahnschrift Regular’ instead of ‘Bahnschrift’, and the dropdown list for the style is disabled.

Alfred spacer.png

8 minutes ago, αℓƒяє∂ said:

This, in turn, surprises me. My copy of Photoshop Elements 13 offers me ‘Bahnschrift Regular’ instead of ‘Bahnschrift’, and the dropdown list for the style is disabled.

Oh, yes, you are absolutely right.

I did not notice a problem because somehow the buttons for making the font bold or italic work.

But now I figure out it's not really the bold version of the font, but PSE does some magic with it.

Comparing "Arial Bold" with "Arial Regular" and the bold button deliver different results.

The difference between PSE 12 and Publisher is that Publisher disabled the
"Character Traits" for "Bold" and "Italic" for some reason.

Ok. Affinity is not that bad. I take back my rant. ;-)

Thought I'd jump in with my 10 cents worth here. My version of MainType (Pro 7.0) doesn't like Bahnschrift one little bit and consistently wants to remove it from the registry. The error being—Installed, but not loaded. 

From what I understand it's a system font that's pertains to Windows 10. 

Assumably it's broken and Microsoft can't be bothered fixing it! It can't be uninstalled.  

I spent a few minutes searching now if someone may have converted Bahnschrift to good old non-variable TTF files, but no luck so far. :-(

20 minutes ago, Steps said:

Oh, yes, you are absolutely right.

I did not notice a problem because somehow the buttons for making the font bold or italic work.

But now I figure out it's not really the bold version of the font, but PSE does some magic with it.

Comparing "Arial Bold" with "Arial Regular" and the bold button deliver different results.

The difference between PSE 12 and Publisher is that Publisher disabled the
"Character Traits" for "Bold" and "Italic" for some reason.

Faux bold often doesn’t produce good results, even with a sans-serif font.

Ok. Affinity is not that bad. I take back my rant. 

LOL. :D

1 minute ago, PedroOfOz said:

Thought I'd jump in with my 10 cents worth here. My version of MainType (Pro 7.0) doesn't like Bahnschrift one little bit and consistently wants to remove it from the registry. The error being—Installed, but not loaded. 

From what I understand it's a system font that's pertains to Windows 10. 

Assumably it's broken and Microsoft can't be bothered fixing it! It can't be uninstalled.  

Time to upgrade, perhaps, Peter? MainType 8.0 Pro seems to be quite happy with Bahnschrift on my Windows 10 system.

Alfred spacer.png

5 minutes ago, αℓƒяє∂ said:

Time to upgrade, perhaps, Peter? MainType 8.0 Pro seems to be quite happy with Bahnschrift on my Windows 10 system.

Oh, it's more likely to be some issue on my Windows 10.

The font is not, and never has been, available to me in any of the apps I use. It just doesn't appear in the font lists. 

As the saying goes 'One doesn't miss what one has never had' ;)

Devs, 

is support for variable fonts somewhere on your roadmap?

• 4 months later...
  • Staff

@Jon P

Please add this improvement to the database,as without it the font cannot be used properly, exposing the bug in the screenshot.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

53 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

@Jon P

Please add this improvement to the database,as without it the font cannot be used properly, exposing the bug in the screenshot.

The misbehaviour seems to be specific to Windows:

Alfred spacer.png

1 hour ago, Mark Oehlschlager said:

Bahnschrift looks like a copy of DIN.

Probably because that’s exactly what it is! It’s Microsoft’s digitization of DIN 1451 as an OpenType variable font.

Alfred spacer.png

I think it might be useful if a moderator pinned a note about this to the top of the forum.

It could help to stop this issue from being posted repeatedly, or as much.

It doesn’t need to say much more than: “Variable fonts – such as Bahnschrift – aren’t supported yet.”, maybe with a list of well-used fonts that people can search for to get to the post itself.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 12/5/2018 at 4:05 PM, Steps said:

Bahnschrift is a standard font for Windows 10 since Fall Creators Update and I really like it.

Unfortunately it can't be used correctly with Publisher as all font styles are detected as "Regular".

Other fonts seem to work properly.

bahnschrift.png

same here. In MainType 8, I can see all the various weights but not in Affinity.

• 4 weeks later...

Working from Windows 7, a fault is that Bahnschrift text boxes from a W10 source may not work in say Word 2013.

A text box came to me in a B't semibold sub font. In Word 2013 it promptly overflowed.  Presumably the text box width was minimised eg by using control handles. and set to 'Text width + LRspacings'

Solutions:

1. Decreasing the text to border spacings restored the original text line.

2. Alternatively, altering the font to 'basic'Bahnschrift ( as generally available as a download ) restored the original text placings.

It appears that the Properties of the text box are set according to the width of the characters in the basic Bahnschrift font only.

Surely the width carried in the properties should be the actual text width, not the basic font. From my point of view, this is a bug, in that the true subfont width is not used to calculate the text width for the Properties. This isn't an idle gripe - it cost my church printing group money.

• 1 month later...
On 9/16/2019 at 9:05 AM, Lagarto said:

There is no surprise, as far as I know variable fonts are not supported in InDesign or QuarkXPress, either, at this stage (even if Illustrator and Photoshop support them).

I never understood why InDesign and Photoshop are so different regarding basic features. The code base must be 100÷ distinct with no shared kernel at all to get those effects.

The Affinity concept is really better here.

13 minutes ago, Steps said:

I never understood why InDesign and Photoshop are so different regarding basic features. The code base must be 100÷ distinct with no shared kernel at all to get those effects.

The Affinity concept is really better here.

I believe ID will get variable font support with its next major update. 

9 hours ago, Lagarto said:

... As this is clearly a bit different challenge in a page layout app, than it is in an app like ... Photoshop, that ultimately typically renders the text as pixels...

Just a note that a PS PDF can retain type as type and vector information.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.