A_M

PDF imported into Designer and Photo becomes pixelated

I have Affinity Designer and Photo for Mac desktop, and I'm a newbie to both. I tried importing a PDF (attached) that I need to edit into both Designer and Photo. In both programs the PDF is layered, which is great since that means I can edit it easily. However, the topographic map layer becomes very pixelated. If I do my edits and then export as a PDF or PNG (or any file type that I've tried), the topographic map layer remains pixelated. This layer looks smooth when I open the PDF in a viewer. It is also smooth and not pixelated when I open the PDF using Photoshop (I don't have Illustrator). However, in Photoshop the PDF doesn't open with layers. 

Years ago I know that my partner managed to do some basic edits to this PDF without any pixelation, I believe with Inkscape, so it should be possible. Can someone let me know what I'm doing wrong in Affinity?

Thanks!! 

Test.pdf

Hi A_M,

Welcome to the forums.

The same is happening for me, the map layer is being pixelated on import. If you open the file in Preview or Adobe Acrobat the map layer remains clear. I'm going to log this with the developers to look into further, in the mean time I've managed to create a new file where the map layer remains clear in Affinity Designer, I'll PM you the file.

iMac 27" 5k macOS 10.13 - MacBook Pro macOS 10.13 - iPad Pro 12.9" 256GB

Affinity Photo Tutorials / Affinity Designer Tutorials / Affinity Photo for iPad