You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Layer > alignment not working the same way as buttons

Hi,

When using Affinity Designer, i'd like to align nodes to eachother, like align middle and center to make sure two nodes from different triangles are at the same location.

It's great that 1.7 beta supports this through the use of the alignment buttons:

A) Select nodes:

1-a_select-nodes.png.6dcde44ca361b7ad01026fd17ea8df8c.png

B) Align through buttons:

1-b_align-using-buttons.png.7dd7995d6c9de08f2946f1012a4fbde5.png

C) Result:

1-c_result.png.adb4a2fb55574e97efb12a5b7bd63b4d.png

However, as I'd have to do this hundreds of times in a real document, I'd like to automate it, in Photos it could use macros, in Designer i can bind a key, however, when aligning through the menu it acts a bit different. It acts the same way id does in the current 1.6:

A) Select nodes:

2-a_select-nodes.png.2311a1aef903cc513f261372aea25e87.png

B) Align though menu (or keypress):

2-b_align-using-menu.png.7134cecab812835dcc1efe09ae125103.png

C) Result:

2-c_result.png.04aa44c6610aced0234aaf0e074222e0.png

Is this intentional or something that will be fixed in 1.7?

I've attached a sample file.

Best regards!

node_alignment.afdesign

• Staff

Hi sgraphic,

This is something that was reported a while back, but is intentional behaviour. However there are now a host of alignment handles on the transform handle when selecting nodes in 1.7, allowing you to do this straight from the selection.

AlignmentHandles.png

Hi Sean P,

Thanks for getting back quickly.

I would've thought that when using the move tool (selecting whole objects) this would be the case, but for the node tool that it only affected the selected nodes instead of the whole object.

It seems its hard to center both vertical and horizontal using the transform controls you posted, the handles disapear after aligning either center.

Is there a way to bind a key to this (like the one in the screenshot, 2B)? Or even better, macros like in Photos.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.