You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Invert Layer Bug.....

Clicking "Invert" in the Layer menu inverts the selected layer's colors, making a negative of the layer, instead of masking the layer in preparation for selectively painting the layer back on.

Is this a new function for Invert, or is this a bug?

'Tis better to have a camera and not need one than to need a camera and not have one.

-----------------

In pursuit of photographic excellence.

Thanks for your reply.

I'm not referring to pixel selection, but rather a method of masking the layer in question.

Before the new beta, Layer>Invert would apply a mask to the active layer, so that you could paint back in your layer at will.

In the new beta, Layer>Invert makes a color negative of the layer by inverting the layer's colors. 

Not the same function as before.

Thanks again, 

Mark

'Tis better to have a camera and not need one than to need a camera and not have one.

-----------------

Once you have applied the mask, make sure you only have the mask layer selected in the Layers panel, then use Layer > Invert to invert the mask

If you have both the pixel layer and its mask selected, then the Layer > Invert command will produce the colour negative effect you are seeing

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Ah, that makes perfect sense......will check that and report back.

Funny, I never made that mistake prior to the newest beta, I must be getting old....:P

Thanks again,

Mark

-----------------

22 hours ago, carl123 said:

Once you have applied the mask, make sure you only have the mask layer selected in the Layers panel, then use Layer > Invert to invert the mask

If you have both the pixel layer and its mask selected, then the Layer > Invert command will produce the colour negative effect you are seeing

Yes indeed.....

That was the problem, adjustment layer was not selected.....

Thanks again,

Mark

-----------------

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.