You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Time and date in History Panel

In certain AfPhoto docs I save my history for future editing. However, my history can be quite long and finding a certain edit very difficult. It would be great to add time and date at certain places in the history panel, or perhaps a very short note that the user could enter.  Thus within the hundreds of potential edits I could quickly scroll to the desired place. This would also be helpful in AfDesigner but for sure in AfPhoto.

• 4 months later...

My request above may be too much of a challenge for present programmers. There are other, perhaps less challenging improvements. 

1. By holding the Control key (Mac) allows me to use the cursor keys to move upon and down my history, but it does not show me what changes on my screen as I move. I have tried various combos of modifier keys but none appear to make this happen. Am I missing something,  and if not, this optioni would be very useful in History.. Otherwise I must use my mouse, and this requires more time to see what is happening in History and takes my eyes away from  the doc.

2. Being able to bold or cap various points in History would also be very helpful, or even just entering  blank or a line at certain points. The longer the History the greater the challenge to locate a special point. 

37 minutes ago, Jim Monson said:

My request above may be too much of a challenge for present programmers. There are other, perhaps less challenging improvements. 

I like the suggestion in your OP, but I don't understand this comment. Are you miffed because no one from Affinity has replied?

Windows 11 Pro, XP-Pen Deco 03, AP, AD & APub

On 12/4/2018 at 7:14 PM, Jim Monson said:

It would be great to add time and date at certain places in the history panel, 

That is available in the 1.7 beta of Photo, when you switch the History panel into Advanced mode (a setting in its hamburger menu).

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Great, Walt. Thanks. Everything I ask appears to be in the 1.7 beta, which is very encouraging. I'll have to remember to look there first before writing the forum. I hope the the non-beta comes out soon since I have many complex map projects awaiting publication that need these features.

On ‎12‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 12:14 AM, Jim Monson said:

or perhaps a very short note that the user could enter

Snapshots will allow you to add notes etc up to 50 characters

By using snapshots going back to strategic points in your edits would be simpler as the snapshots panel is far less cluttered than the History panel.

Adding a snapshot does not affect the History, so if you forgot to add one at a certain point in your edits you can scroll back to that point, via the History panel, add a snapshot, then return to your current editing point and continue editing.

Saving the history with a document can make it much larger and will let anyone see all your edits on the document.  If these are of concern for anyone then snapshots may be a better choice in those circumstances.

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.