You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Bug: By converting a layer to a picture frame layer effects are deleted

Maybe this is intentional, I think it's unexpected behaviour that by converting a layer to a picture frame the layer effects are gone.

Windows 10 Pro x64 (1903). Intel Core i7-9700K @ 3.60GHz, 32 GB memory, NVidia RTX 2080
Affinity Photo 1.7.2.471, Affinity Designer 1.7.2.471, Affinity Publisher 1.7.2.471

• Staff

Hey Steps,

I'm not quite seeing this myself. If I add a new layer and drop a shape on the page with a shadow, converting it retains the shadow and I can also click the fx icon to further adjust the shadow.

Could you give me the steps or specify which fx you're using?

Thanks! 

Hi Chris,

sure.

1. I added an photo by dragging it into the application window from my windows desktop. This created an "Image" layer.
  2. In the context menu of that image I opened up the "Layer Effects" and added an "Outer Shadow" and an "Outline".
  3. I selected the image and choosed in the menu "Layer" the menu item "Convert to Picture Frame".
  4. This resets the Layer Effects. The "fx" icon is also gone then.

If I copied the layer before I can use "paste FX" to reapply the Layer Effects.

I use "Affinity Publisher 1.7.0 192 (Beta)".

I hope that helps.

Windows 10 Pro x64 (1903). Intel Core i7-9700K @ 3.60GHz, 32 GB memory, NVidia RTX 2080
Affinity Photo 1.7.2.471, Affinity Designer 1.7.2.471, Affinity Publisher 1.7.2.471

20 minutes ago, haakoo said:

But that's to be expected,because the shape is converted,iow the outline.

You need to see the PF as a clipping container.

You could use any shape for this only issue is that the fitting properties would be missing.

Not sure about that. I'm still surprised that this happens.

• Staff

Hi Steps,

Your recipe lead me to reproduce it. What's happening is that the picture frame is becoming a clipping container as haakoo said. If you expand the layer you still have the fx applied to the image inside.

I think this is by design but I can see why you've raised this as I wasn't sure what to expect without double checking internally.

8 hours ago, Chris B said:

Hi Steps,

Your recipe lead me to reproduce it. What's happening is that the picture frame is becoming a clipping container as haakoo said. If you expand the layer you still have the fx applied to the image inside.

I think this is by design but I can see why you've raised this as I wasn't sure what to expect without double checking internally.

@Chris B

Okay, now as I understood what this does I know where the problem with this feature is.

To call the option "Convert to Picture Frame" is a straight-up lie as this is not what happens.

If the option would be called "Wrap into Picture Frame" I would have known what to expect.

A Image Layer never ever can't be converted into something else than a "Curve".

I strongly suggest to change the label of the menu item to reflect what really happens. Less confusion. ;-)

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.