You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to copy Layer Effects?

I want to create a photo book and want all my photos to have the same layer effects (outer shadow and outline).

How can I copy them to another picture?

In Photoshop I can do that with the context menu - "copy layer effects to clip board" / "apply layer effects from clip board".

How is that done with Publisher or is this feature just missing?

Windows 10 Pro x64 (1903). Intel Core i7-9700K @ 3.60GHz, 32 GB memory, NVidia RTX 2080
Affinity Photo 1.7.2.471, Affinity Designer 1.7.2.471, Affinity Publisher 1.7.2.471

Ok, I found that there is a "Paste FX" option under "Edit".

This is a really good hidden function. I would strongly suggest to make it easier for Photoshop users that the layer context menu also has a "paste FX" entry.

Windows 10 Pro x64 (1903). Intel Core i7-9700K @ 3.60GHz, 32 GB memory, NVidia RTX 2080
Affinity Photo 1.7.2.471, Affinity Designer 1.7.2.471, Affinity Publisher 1.7.2.471

This is Feedback for Affinity Publisher Beta. I seem to be in the wrong forum (even it is displayed to me as "Discussions and Suggestions for Affinity Publisher Beta on Desktop").

You're in the right place. You won't necessarily get feedback on your suggestions from the Serif team, as there are a lot of suggestions being made and a small team.

Also, since you found the answer to your question other users may not have felt the need to respond, either.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

I completely agree about paste FX being in right-click menu.

You could also create a 'Style' to do this:

1. right click one of your photos with the shadow and outline and choose 'create style'
  2. Make sure 'Styles' is showing in View > Studio
  3. Scroll to the bottom of the styles palette and your new style will be the last item - you can right-click that to rename it.
  4. Any new photo frames just select them, then click your style to apply it.

Personally I think styles is unfinished - when you click 'create style' a dialog should pop up straight away to name it - that would give instant feedback that something has happened and take the guesswork out of finding the style you just made. And you should be able to 'update style from selection' the way you can with a text style.

MacBook Pro M1 Max, macOS 12.6.1 Monterey
Affinity Designer : 2.0  Affinity Photo: 2.0,   Affinity Publisher: 2.0

3 hours ago, iaing said:

I completely agree about paste FX being in right-click menu.

You could also create a 'Style' to do this:

1. right click one of your photos with the shadow and outline and choose 'create style'
  2. Make sure 'Styles' is showing in View > Studio
  3. Scroll to the bottom of the styles palette and your new style will be the last item - you can right-click that to rename it.
  4. Any new photo frames just select them, then click your style to apply it.

Personally I think styles is unfinished - when you click 'create style' a dialog should pop up straight away to name it - that would give instant feedback that something has happened and take the guesswork out of finding the style you just made. And you should be able to 'update style from selection' the way you can with a text style.

Thank you very much for this.

Actually I clicked on "Create Style" before to solve that problem, but since nothing happened I considered that menu point to be broken. :-D

I indeed would also expect a naming dialog to pop up and also I would expect that the "Styles" view opens up if closed when I use that option.

Being looking to do this for a while in Affinity Photo !

A quick way to copy and paste an objects effects (Without creating a Style as a step between) 

If I haven't read this thread... I wouldn't have found it.

So selecting the object with the style and choosing "copy" (while right clicking) makes this happen... 

Like other have commented I would suggest these changes:

1) When you right click an object rename the "copy" for "Copy Layer Effects" . For me the "copy" options means I'm copying the object (not the effect) 

2) Once the effect is copied to the clipboard add the ability to have a "Paste Layer Effects" option appear when you right click on another object.

3) The "Paste FX"in the Edit menu is good to have... but adding the other options would really be great.

Right now we are copying and pasting the effects in two completely different areas of the interface...

P.D. Also the "Layers Effects..." right click option could be renamed "Edit Layer Effects" and be placed right under the "Paste Layer Effects" 

Thanks !

fjv

copy-style.png

------------------------

Fernando Velarde

www.velarde.com

Instagram.com/soyfervelarde

• 8 months later...