You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Newbie having "add page" problem in Publisher

Hi, I am formatting a book for eventual release on KDP print on demand. I set up my master as facing and with a wider margin in the gutter. From title page on, it has gone well as long as I work in a linear manner. However, when I try to insert a single page, the copy shifts but retains the formatting for the previous page. In other words, the text now become positioned to have the larger margin at the outside edge, even though the blue line for the master page format is still correct. I have been reading the Affinity Publisher Beta Help but have not found a way to add a single page without this happening. Thanks for your advice!

Screen Shot 2018-12-04 at 4.20.07 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-12-04 at 4.21.00 PM.png

Mark,

I fear there is no way to avoid that, given the current implementation, for margins and text frames are independent entities, and the latter ones are not repositioned when margins change due to the insertion of a single page. I would also like to know a good way to handle this, other than deleting all frames save for the first one and invoking text auto-flow … which isn’t really a good solution for structured documents.

Alex :(

P.S. Don’t forget to remove the bullet from your chapter headings. I guess this is not intended. :)

As a workaround you could position two page breaks in your text to create an additional empty page (the empty page would then have a text frame with a single emty line in it).

Then delete the text frame and lastly remove the empty line and page breaks (text will flow on, but skip the then empty page.

It appears that you have discovered a feature oversight. In Adobe InDesign this would be taken care of in the Layout Adjustment options within its Liquid Layout feature.

Hopefully, something comparable to InDesign's Layout Adjustment options will be built in to the final shipping version of Publisher.

There does appear to be some control in Publisher over how frames and objects will scale or anchor to a resized spread when one clicks on the Document Setup... button. (First select a master page spread.) But the Layout Adjustment features that would solve your problem are not yet built in.  :43_slight_frown: