PabloNeirotti

Can't save in the iCloud Affinity Designer folder

Hi there. I'm using Affinity Designer for iPad.

For some reason I can save in any iCloud folder from my iPad, EXCEPT in the Affinity Designer folder one. I can browse subfolders, but the top right Add button remains greyed out.

This folder happens to be where I keep all .afdesign documents in desktop. I would imagine that's the one place where I should be able to do so. So it's been very difficult transferring copies from one side to another every time I make a change, sending files via other mediums and replacing them on desktop. Beats the purpose of iCloud.

Hope this is a temporary bug and not a feature. I'd appreciate any clarification.

Great, thanks.

I'd like to contribute to the report (maybe). On Desktop, historically, my Affinity Designer folder has looked like an Affinity Photo folder.

Even if I remove the folder and have Designer create it again, it still picks up that icon.

Not sure if it means anything or if it's related but there you go!

Screen Shot 2018-12-06 at 10.29.48 AM.png

Having a similar issue here. I haven't been able to find much info about it online. I can open tifs from iCloud just fine, layers show up as expected (even from photoshop). When I save and close from the project screen, however, it doesn't overwrite/update the original file. Doesn't even show a modified timestamp in the Files app, and when you reopen the same tif from iCloud none of your AP edits are there. The only work around I've figured out so far is exporting with the original file name which will give you a "replace" dialogue. Only downside is for some reason, even if you select to keep the layers when you try to open in Photoshop the tif gets flattened. 

@MEB Here's a bit more info, maybe it helps debugging it.

1. This time I created the document on Affinity Designer for iPad.
  2. Saved it on iCloud root folder, since Affinity folders cannot be saved to.
  3. Moved the file using my Mac's Finder into subfolder inside the Affinity Designer iCloud folder.
  4. Double click to open the file on the Finder, opens on Affinity Photo.
  5. ⌘I to inspect the file, and it says - Open with: "Affinity Photo (1.6.7)"
  6. I change it to "Affinity Designer (1.6.1)"
  7. It immediately resets back to "Affinity Photo (1.6.7)". It won't budge.
  8. I try ⌥ Right Click on the file, Always open with > Affinity Designer
  9. It opens on Designer, but it will be opened by Affinity Photo next time. The default did not change.

This doesn't affect other .afdesign files created in either of my Macs.

I feel the system thinks Affinity Photo owns both iCloud folders, specially given they both have the same icon.

Please help, my workflow is very complicated at the moment and often end up editing a file that doesn't get updated on the other side, having to manually merge changes later.

Thank you!

Please fix this. I cannot save or export anything from Affinity Photo OR Affinity Designer to my iCloud folders on my iPad.

Affinity is supposedly looking into it. We’ve been talking back and forth online. Solve for now for me at least has been export/replace to the same location (Dropbox/iCloud/etc). 

@MEB Today I lost hours of work because of this issue. Apparently if you open a document from Affinity Designer on iPad, from iCloud, and save a million times, it won't be saved at all. It doesn't seem to go to the original iCloud file. Nor anywhere. I closed my document to see if this will push it to the cloud. Nope. It was closed to oblivion.

Saving doesn't work. We pay premium for Affinity Designer, Photo separately, iPad version separately. And we don't have a reliable Save button.

Please take this more seriously.

10 hours ago, PabloNeirotti said:

Saving doesn't work. We pay premium for Affinity Designer, Photo separately, iPad version separately. And we don't have a reliable Save button.

This works for me.

1. Start a project. 

2. Save a copy. (Document Menu/Save a Copy), naviagate to cloud storage folder and add.

3. Use the back arrow to return to Project screen and close the project. 

4. Tap + button and select Open from Cloud. Navigate to cloud storage folder and select previously saved file.

5. Make edits.

6. Save to update changes (Document Menu/Save). The Save menu is only available after Saving a Copy and then opening the saved copy.

7. Close project.

Next time you Open from Cloud the previous edits will be there.

IPad Pro 10.5 512GB iOS 12.3.1 Affinity Photo 1.7.2.146 Affinity Design 1.7.1.1 Publisher for iPad ?

Thank you DM1!

I was having trouble saving and couldn't figure out a work around.  Your step by step was so helpful!!!

It would be nice if they improved the ease of saving to make the workflow more efficient.

Posted (edited)

Uhhhhh this is a little more than a bug.  I bought this yesterday, created some nice art for my game.  Can NOT export to any folder.  Specifically I use DropBox, not working.  But tried all other services and nothing works.  It let's me select the export folder but the save option does not appear.  I tried procreate, thinking it was me, but that worked flawlessly!

This is basically a bricked product.  No telling when it may be fixed.  This makes for a bad first impression.

Edited by Cugel
update

15 hours ago, Cugel said:

Specifically I use DropBox, not working.  But tried all other services and nothing works.  It let's me select the export folder but the save option does not appear.

Hi Cugel, I'm not having any issues saving Exports so it’s possible you are doing something wrong. Perhaps you could tell us, or better yet, provide a screen recording showing the steps you are taking. That way users or mods here may be able to provide a fix. :)

IPad Pro 10.5 512GB iOS 12.3.1 Affinity Photo 1.7.2.146 Affinity Design 1.7.1.1 Publisher for iPad ?

Resolved for now.  Only export slice to DropBox was not working, seems it's a known issue.  Export layer to DropBox works and Export slice to iCloud works which gets me working again.  Thanks for the quick support. :)