You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

"Apply image", and misc "defaults"

Hello DEVs

First off, thanks again for great software, I've been sending ~250 portraits through it since I bought it, and I love how the application just simply replaced Photoshop :)

Over to my "needs".. I really need some features from PS days, and I hope you guys see why.

"Apply Image" in Affinity Photo is not alike PS CC's version of it. I used to use this often to grab an RGB, R, G or B. CMYK or C, M, Y, K or even LAB L, A or B from a layer, a document or a file on the disk, then "apply" it as a mask - inverted or not - on to the selected mask, usually in normal or luminosity mode. I even use it for blending K channel from a dublicate CMYK document in to actual documents RGB composite to enhance faint details which is almost lost. I also use it to mix one of the RGB channels from same document in to the worst channel to enhance the details and remove noise (usually B channel), its called luminosity blending, check out Lee Varis and Dan Margulis photoshop videos. I don't see this is possible in Affinity Photo with the current "apply image", and I wish I had the same blending options in it like default layers so it will be easy to fix a "bad" channel in a image :) Check video below in this post.

I also wish I could set one of the info readouts to a default readout, LAB for example, because I use this more often than RGB or anything else. Left side could be document format. I can change to LAB right now, but it doesnt stick to next image.
image.png.766a390210c9453cc8af16e050607ff1.png

I love to be able to save my own defaults than white and gra. Every single time I use this I have to go and manually set left one to black and right to white anyway because I rarly use this on other things than masks. It is really annoying :P
image.png.3ebf266e66f4f4139127f3d560dda4ed.png

After pushing through those 250 portraits since I bought Affinity, I'm really getting tired to recheck "current and below", I never retouch on background or main pixel layers and wouldn't suggest anyone to do it either. Make a new layer then use the healing brush with "current and below" is the safest way to use it anyway, so could it be possible to have persistent settings on these as-well?
image.png.e1a085a177a6dded12d9444613696bf5.png

Check next 5 minutes to see what I mean of luminosity blending:

Thats all for now :)

Best regards,

Aleksander

Edited by atefoto
removing two images

One more "small" thing" :P

I made an RGB selection of the whole composite, then I thought "Hmm, I need to add more contrast in to the mask to make gray almost black"...

Then I tried adding a curve to the mask just like I've been doing for 15 years in PS CC, to adjust the mask, but I don't think it is possible in Affinity Photo? Am I right?

In thats the case, I request this function too :D

In Photoshop I was using CTRL+M or CMD+M on layer masks to edit the mask itself, it was extremely useful to make better selections and controlled adjustments.

Best regards,

Aleksander

3 hours ago, atefoto said:

One more "small" thing" :P

I made an RGB selection of the whole composite, then I thought "Hmm, I need to add more contrast in to the mask to make gray almost black"...

Then I tried adding a curve to the mask just like I've been doing for 15 years in PS CC, to adjust the mask, but I don't think it is possible in Affinity Photo? Am I right?

In thats the case, I request this function too :D

In Photoshop I was using CTRL+M or CMD+M on layer masks to edit the mask itself, it was extremely useful to make better selections and controlled adjustments.

Best regards,

Aleksander

I was surprised that this feature is missing too. 

• 1 month later...
  • Staff
On 12/5/2018 at 2:45 AM, atefoto said:

[...] I need to add more contrast in to the mask to make gray almost black"...

[...]

Hi atefoto,
Make sure the Curves adjustment is nested to the mask (drag the adjustment over the thumbnail of the mask in the Layers panel), then in the Curves adjustment dialog set the channel to Alpha. You can then adjust the mask through the Curves adjustment.