You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Intentional camera movement (ICM)

Kasper-V

Intentional camera movement is exactly  what it says: you move the camera during exposure. I spent some time deciding whether ICM is just a gimmick or a valid technique -- I think it's both! Done well, it's very striking. Here's a couple of examples I shot yesterday ...

4334.thumb.jpg.a1cffd0acd111058ae74884fcd50572f.jpg

4329.thumb.jpg.9ce066cbb544e85336027c7acc9d46d0.jpg

These are a couple of the Christmas decorations at Shugborough,  Staffordshire (UK), the National Trust property that was the home of photographer Patrick Lichfield. Here they are again in "proper" photos ...

_MG_4332.JPG.339940101f2a022b7174dbe66ca0ed6e.JPG

_MG_4328.JPG.d7e402737fdc1aa27892f98035bd846d.JPG

The dashed appearance in the second shot is down to the LED lights, which flicker at 100 Hz (mains frequency is 50 Hz), and something I hadn't expected.

HOW-TO

It's a very simple technique. Set your camera to a slow exposure, from, say, 1/4 second or much slower, depending how much movement you want. In bright conditions you may need a neutral density filter. Press the button, and as soon as you hear the shutter open move the camera. Simples! Remember that the trails will go in the OPPOSITE direction to the camera movement. You may need to have several goes to get the hang of it, and before you get a shot you like ... but that's not unusual in photography!

There  are quite a lot of ICM photos on the internet to give you more ideas, and there's quite a bit of variation in the kind of results you can get: interesting, abstract or just weird.