You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I've suggested this before and some staff members have said they plan to add this feature, but looking at 1.7's features I thought this would be a good time to bring it up again.  Smooth curves are great most of the time, but when you want something to look hand-drawn, you usually need it to be a bit rough.  I think many illustrators would benefit from a roughening tool; it would allow illustrators to make non-uniform curves more easily than having to draw each node individually.

a210061408df983e.gif

As it is, it's really hard to produce a line that doesn't look uniform, and a roughening tool to add pseudorandom midpoint displacement would make illustrating much less time-consuming.

Last I heard, the plan was to have a brush-type tool that would allow the roughening effect to be "rubbed over" a curve.  I think that's is a great idea, but even something as simple as Inkscape's Fractalize feature would be sufficient for many illustrators' purposes.

• 1 year later...

It's on my wishlist, too. For years now, to be precise. Every time I need roughened lines/paths I'm still forced to fall back to my old version of Illustrator...

Without Illustrator you can actually achieve this kind of effect with Inkscape, but it's unfortunately a bit clumsy and time consuming as the "Roughen" effect will be pixel based at first and you have then to trace the generated bitmap element (which you can, though, in Inkscape as opposed to AD) to get the actual rough vector path. Which you then can save as an SVG to open with AD... (maybe just copying will do, but I haven't  actually tried to).

That said, I'm really cúrious what Affinity Designer version 1.9 (or even 2.0) will bring. There are certainly features which are dearly missed at present...

On 9/28/2020 at 9:54 AM, Lorox said:

It's on my wishlist, too. For years now, to be precise. Every time I need roughened lines/paths I'm still forced to fall back to my old version of Illustrator...

Without Illustrator you can actually achieve this kind of effect with Inkscape, but it's unfortunately a bit clumsy and time consuming as the "Roughen" effect will be pixel based at first and you have then to trace the generated bitmap element (which you can, though, in Inkscape as opposed to AD) to get the actual rough vector path. Which you then can save as an SVG to open with AD... (maybe just copying will do, but I haven't  actually tried to).

That said, I'm really cúrious what Affinity Designer version 1.9 (or even 2.0) will bring. There are certainly features which are dearly missed at present...

Actually, I discovered a while ago that there's an extension in Inkscape called "Fractalize..."; it allows you to do vector roughening.

• 5 months later...

To a certain degree it's possible to mimic roughen edges with the stroke pressure function.
It has a bug, however:

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2