You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Lines with arrowhead and dot end?

In Affinity Designer, I've not found an arrowhead/dot end line feature, so have learned how to create a custom arrowhead and dot-end line brush and it works okay as long as the line length isn't changed, which changes the arrow and dot shape, making it impossible to maintain a consistent look. When doing projects that require arrowhead and dot line ends of different lengths, how do you maintain the geometry/size of the arrowhead/dot when changing line length without having to do each line individually separated from the dot? I just created an eye anatomy design with dot-end lines indicating the various named parts and had to create every one using individual line and dot for each item in order to maintain a consistent dot size with different line lengths, which is a bit tedious. Is there an easier way?

• Staff

Hi Ballyshannon :)

Unfortunately there's no tool or standard way of doing this in Affinity currently. Arrow heads (and therefore likely dot ends) are on our Designer Roadmap to be added in the future. Hopefully this will be sooner rather than later, but we have no eta for this at this time, apologies.

You may find that creating an asset helps your workflow, but you will still have to use individual objects for each line if you're not happy using a created vector brush.

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

21 hours ago, Ballyshannon said:

When doing projects that require arrowhead and dot line ends of different lengths, how do you maintain the geometry/size of the arrowhead/dot when changing line length without having to do each line individually separated from the dot?

It is only effective for straight lines but as a workaround you can create a line with the line end shapes you want with the Arrow Tool & use copies of it for each instance of the line in the document. That allows you to drag on either center end handle with the Move Tool to change the line length without changing the size of either end shape.

For example, each of these 6 arrow shapes is a duplicate of the selected one, with their lengths changed by dragging on the circled controlled handle.

2089865173_arrowinstances.jpg.e1f9c8c6e5e6f4ad5e6ec65a4c9d0f06.jpg

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

32 minutes ago, R C-R said:

It is only effective for straight lines

I don't understand that comment. Can't you curve one of those curves by dragging on the center node?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

I don't understand that comment. Can't you curve one of those curves by dragging on the center node?

What center node? Those shapes are not really lines, they are shapes made with the Arrow Tool.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

9 minutes ago, R C-R said:

What center node? Those shapes are not really lines, they are shapes made with the Arrow Tool.

Hmm. Sorry. I was misremembering something.

You can convert one of those arrows to curves, then use the Node tool to make adjustments including curving the arrow. (But you really have to work on the arrow heads at that point, though it can be done.)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

7 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

You can convert one of those arrows to curves, then use the Node tool to make adjustments including curving the arrow.

Yes, but if you do that changing the length distorts the ends, which is what the OP wants to avoid.

Affinity Photo