You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Keyboard Toggle Between Text Tools and Move Tool

I've been working through the Help files for Publisher 1.7.0.192.

Regarding work with the Text tools, would it be possible to assign a toggle key that would allow the user to temporarily transform the Text tool into a Move tool while the toggle key is held down for the purpose of moving or resizing the Text frame/object, or for deselecting the Text frame/object?

In the Adobe products, this is possible by holding down the Command key.

1 hour ago, Mark Oehlschlager said:

I've been thinking of suggesting the same thing as well. Yes, holding a Command key temporarily switches you to a Move tool and as soon as you let go of the Command key you are back on previous key. I use it inDesign all the time. Thank you for suggesting it and not just thinking about it like me :).

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

iPad Pro (10.5-inch) • 256GB • Version 16.4

13 hours ago, Mark Oehlschlager said:

Regarding work with the Text tools, would it be possible to assign a toggle key that would allow the user to temporarily transform the Text tool into a Move tool

While this is not a toggle key as you suggest, you can press ESC and then 'V'. This switches to the Move Tool and you can (obviously) move things around. Then you press 'T' and are back to text editing.

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

On 12/3/2018 at 11:24 PM, Mark Oehlschlager said:

I've been working through the Help files for Publisher 1.7.0.192.

Regarding work with the Text tools, would it be possible to assign a toggle key that would allow the user to temporarily transform the Text tool into a Move tool while the toggle key is held down for the purpose of moving or resizing the Text frame/object, or for deselecting the Text frame/object?

Are you aware that you can move, resize and rotate objects with the Text tools, by dragging the frame edges or handles? You should see the mouse cursor change when you are over the right area. You can also deselect by clicking on a blank part of the canvas.

On 12/4/2018 at 1:08 PM, dominik said:

While this is not a toggle key as you suggest, you can press ESC and then 'V'.

I was aware of that, however, my muscle memory from inDesign always wins, not for long, though :). Thank you for reminding us about that feature.

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

iPad Pro (10.5-inch) • 256GB • Version 16.4

18 minutes ago, Seneca said:

I was aware of that, however, my muscle memory from inDesign always wins, not for long, though :). Thank you for reminding us about that feature.

Well, the muscle memory ... . I must admit that Dave Harris' comment (above your post) is worth of getting used, too, as an alternative way of operation. I did not know this and played with it today. Moving text frames with no toggle at all!

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

16 hours ago, Dave Harris said:

Are you aware that you can move, resize and rotate objects with the Text tools, by dragging the frame edges or handles? You should see the mouse cursor change when you are over the right area. You can also deselect by clicking on a blank part of the canvas.

@Dave Harris

Thanks for pointing that out.

Did I miss that in the available online Help files? I didn't find any instruction on that point. 

11 hours ago, Mark Oehlschlager said:

Did I miss that in the available online Help files? I didn't find any instruction on that point

It's not something unique to Text. Any object bounding box works that way, in any of the Affinity applications. That might help you find information about it, but I haven't looked myself.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 1 year later...