You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

REST API for Affinity Designer to automate things

Introduction

Typically application to automate stuff use inside script language like AppleScript, JavaScript, and VBScript. It is a limitation to use by user. They have to know language to make script to make things. I think it is better way that can revolutionise way of interact with graphic application. It is a REST API.

Why

Using API with token to get protect application from overuse by untrusted source is the easiest way to escape from problem which script language use. By calling fx.

localhost:8000/menu/file/new/jpg&dimH=200&dimW=200

user can get new file with specified dimension using what is he want - PHP, JS, Python, Java, C++.  Of course using JSON or XML application can get detailed information and what and how call it can be resolve on the a lot possibles ways. For example it can be simple mapping all menu option like AutoIt, PyWinauto etc. works by simulated clicking on menu. For not detailed conspect mapping menu to show/hide dialogs, paste values to them, GUI icons, modify palletes etc.

It is a the most universal way to work. If you like you can fx. using Android to make batch processing on PC via wifi and it is only beginning. Another Affinity Application gen control another app or fx. using database to populate clients details for project of certificate of authencity. Data from MySQL goes to app using API and via API call you can export file and another programmist can take them to make the flow more powerful than anyone can imagine.

Using one language limits user who know it. It is a way around and fx. you can use local webpage with JS script to working with application.

Summary

Now only exist only webservice to work with graphic in that way. So it is a very interestive alternative to make business more powerfull. Plugins from users and free exchange of his works makes community more engagment and potential user more interested all application suite. I wrote about Affinity Designer, but it is beggining. Using this way to automate all aplication from Affinity Suite will make new industry strandard. It is easy, very well tested idea from concept side. It can get time to implement, but I think it is worth. No one company in graphic business do it. It is the most open solution with closing propetriary code to safe your work from overused.

Question to developers

Why not do you think about scripting your apps in that way?

You have my vote for capabilities like a Rest API. For now, I settle with scripting capabilities e.g. AppleScript, Javascript, VBA.

Your proposal means a very different business model. I don’t know how many on this forum understand automation, so proposing development capabilities might be a challenge to place in a proper context by a lot of forum users. I do hope that this threat gets read and considered by those whom understand the power of what’s behind your question.

Therefore, it would be interesting to learn Serif lab’s view on this.