You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Remove font from AP and AD

I have a little trouble to remove a font from both AD and AP on the iPad.. I go to the font section of the apps, and hit delete, but after reopening the apps, they are still in the font library in the apps.

The reason I want to remove it, is because I'm designing a new font, and I want to put the latest version, to test it in some designs, but the old is still there..

And special tricks to remove fonts from the AD and AP on the iPad? 

Have you tried hard resetting the iPad. Hold power and home button down for 10 seconds and device will restart, hopefully clearing any cached memory.

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

@DM1 I just tried it a couple of times..  but no, they are still there. 

I see I have 4 different versions there, and I was installing a new version after trying to delete the old, but it looks like Affinity collects them all. 

I also tried to install the font by AnyFont, but when using Affinity, it looks like the font installed in the AD and AP overrides that.. 

so now With the Affinity products, I can only use the old version without kerning and redesigned letters.. 

Strange the delete button doesn’t work!? 

Well it deletes, but when opening the app, the fonts are still there.. 

Any suggestions? 

• Staff

I've just added a couple of fonts to Affinity Designer for iPad and then used the Delete option. On checking the font list, they didn't show and was no longer available. It may be a case of uninstalling the app and downloading again from the App Store. If you decide to do this I recommend saving.backing up your documents first.

15 minutes ago, Lee D said:

I've just added a couple of fonts to Affinity Designer for iPad and then used the Delete option. On checking the font list, they didn't show and was no longer available.

You need to close and reopen the app. When I do that in AD for iPad version 1.6.4.45, the ‘deleted’ font is listed under ‘Preferences > Fonts’ but it isn’t available for selection from the list in the Text Studio, and if I go back to ‘Preferences > Fonts’ and try to add it again it doesn’t show up.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• Staff
1 hour ago, αℓƒяє∂ said:

You need to close and reopen the app. When I do that in AD for iPad version 1.6.4.45, the ‘deleted’ font is listed under ‘Preferences > Fonts’ but it isn’t available for selection from the list in the Text Studio, and if I go back to ‘Preferences > Fonts’ and try to add it again it doesn’t show up.

The fonts I added and then deleted don't return after closing the app fully and reopening and checking the fonts list again in Preferences. @276ccm If you can PM me one of the font files I'll do some more testing. Due to the limitations on iPad we can't manually remove them, so the only way be to uninstall the app and download again.

43 minutes ago, Lee D said:

The fonts I added and then deleted don't return after closing the app fully and reopening and checking the fonts list again in Preferences.

I think I confounded the issue because I happened to pick a problematic font which I’ve now traced back to the following post:

I just tried again with another of the few fonts that I haven’t installed globally, and everything worked as expected.

Alfred spacer.png

I sent the font in a PM for inspection.. and in the process of backing up AD and AP, delete and reinstall all.. 

Maybe it’s betrer to install the font I’m making with AnyFont.. at least until it’s all finished, because I don’t want to reinstall all again :-) 

15 hours ago, 276ccm said:

Maybe it’s better to install the font I’m making with AnyFont.. at least until it’s all finished

I don’t see any advantage in installing fonts via ‘Preferences > Fonts’, especially since you have two Affinity for iPad apps and you would have to repeat the procedure to make the font available in both of them. I always use AnyFont (except when installing fonts from Font Squirrel, where the ‘Install on iPad’ option makes things even easier).

Alfred spacer.png

49 minutes ago, αℓƒяє∂ said:

I don’t see any advantage in installing fonts via ‘Preferences > Fonts’, especially since you have two Affinity for iPad apps and you would have to repeat the procedure to make the font available in both of them. I always use AnyFont (except when installing fonts from Font Squirrel, where the ‘Install on iPad’ option makes things even easier).

I installed some fonts in AD preferences and they also appear in AP.. I don’t have to repeat, it looks like :-) 

reason why I preferred in the app, was that I had an experience where the font installed in the iPad profiles, suddenly a profile was gone and I iAd to redo it.. and I was a place without WiFi.. 

Anyway, I think fonts only need to be installed in one of the Affinity apps and they will appear in the other :-)